Start-Stop Car Technology. I was always told otherwise.

Not significant within the lifetime of the warranty is the only concern to the manufacturer.

Stop/Start is nonsense, but it's visible nonsense and makes the tree huggers think the car companies are doing something.

It's the same with the power companies and windmills, pointless but noticable.

If it improves fuel efficiency by up to 15%, in what way is it nonsense?

/me cuts a slice of cream cake for Pete before he vanishes

Might even have some sherry somewhere....

But now you mention it.........hahaahaha...can I have a slice?

Tell me. I've seen the new billboards for Audi's which say 8 cylinders when you need it, 4 when you don't!...I wonder how that works? Surely they can't come to rest? If they are still moving, surely that can't be good for the engine?

I've seen the new billboards for Audi's which say 8 cylinders when you need it, 4 when you don't!...I wonder how that works? Surely they can't come to rest? If they are still moving, surely that can't be good for the engine?
See this. Probably Audi's own take on it.

But now you mention it.........hahaahaha...can I have a slice?

Tell me. I've seen the new billboards for Audi's which say 8 cylinders when you need it, 4 when you don't!...I wonder how that works? Surely they can't come to rest? If they are still moving, surely that can't be good for the engine?

Many petrol engines these days don't have athrottle, they control fuel inlet by means of varying the valve opening duration.

This means that they can vary each bank of cylinders, or sometimes each cylinder individually. So what Audi, and a few other people do for that matter is just open the unlets and switch off the fuelling to those cylinders. The lack of a throttle stops the losses, and without fuel of course the cylinders just freewheel as it were.

When you want them for an overtake, you can have them back within a could of engine revs - just switch on the fuel and you get them at full power, which is generally where you need them.

If it improves fuel efficiency by up to 15%, in what way is it nonsense?

1. That’s a manufacturers claim, not independently verified.

2. Additional start-ups will emit more environmental contaminants than conventional engines.

3. As stated earlier, the battery life is shortened leading to additional cost and pollution.

4. The engine life may well be shortened leading to addition cost and/or earlier scrappage, therefore potentially greater environmental damage.

Over it's lifetime, a Toyota Prius does more damage to the environment than a 5 series BMW.

Archived