Seat Belts

Jon

Originally posted by jackthedog

I read (dont know how true it is) that most Americans still think it's better to be thrown from the car in an accident than to be strapped inside.

I always think this one is quite funny. I've heard this from people in the past - "oh, I'd rather be thrown clear of the accident...".

Errrr...thrown clear onto what exactly? A nice fluffy mattress or something? :loopy:

Do people really think that hitting tarmac at 50mph is going to let them walk away, not to mention all the sharp bits of metal, etc that they are probably going to hit on the way? I remember crashing a motorbike wearing work clothes once - I was only going about 30mph but landed on my knee which instantly lost all it's flesh.

Thrown clear! These people who think that are having a laugh!

My brother was in a coach coming back from France and he felt a nasty bump and the coach came to a screetching halt.

There had been a car crash up a head, the passenger in one car, not wearing a belt and been thrown from the car and the bump my brother felt was his head being crushed by the wheels of the coach!

Apologies if that put anyone of their dinner.

Here is a report from Kentucky; the author of the news article is trying to explain to fellow yanks that being thrown out the window is not good when you then get killed by your own car which is of course following you; 2 deaths in the same week that could have been prevented are highlighted in the article; and there are some nasty facts and figures in general.

http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/articles/2004/01/30/news/news1.txt

Let's hope that the message spreads to all in vehicles of whatever description :P

Originally posted by feederfil

One thing I can't understand is the logic of probabilities-the more you drive the more likely you are to be in a crash! So why does the law say that taxi drivers,bus drivers,lorry drivers and certain van drivers do not need to wear seat belts. Myself if I was one of those I would definetly wear a belt,as I would be in a high risk situation !

I can understand your logic, but the law allows drivers who are carrying fare paying passengers not to wear a seatbelt so that they can defend themselves/escape from attack by passengers. (you'd be surprised how often it happens...esp when people are drunk.

Van drivers are only exempt when in a delivery van making local deliveries. I used to do multi-drop and would regularly have in excess of 200 drops a day. Imagine how much time it would take to fasten/un-fasten your seatbelt when driving from no 2 any street to number 37.

Having said that, I had my life saved by a seat belt in a van.

Originally posted by Jon

:confused: If a law came in saying its up to you if you wear a seat belt or not would or wouldn't you wear one?

I would wear one :thumbsup:

I have driven most of my life without a seat belt, It was in the eighties when I started teaching that I had to wear one, to comply with the law and to set an example to the pupils and now I put it on automatically.:loopy::thumbsup::bigsmile:

Originally posted by Flying Duck

I can understand your logic, but the law allows drivers who are carrying fare paying passengers not to wear a seatbelt so that they can defend themselves/escape from attack by passengers. (you'd be surprised how often it happens...esp when people are drunk.

Van drivers are only exempt when in a delivery van making local deliveries. I used to do multi-drop and would regularly have in excess of 200 drops a day. Imagine how much time it would take to fasten/un-fasten your seatbelt when driving from no 2 any street to number 37.

Having said that, I had my life saved by a seat belt in a van.

Can understand multi drop (if close drops not 10+ min drive) and taxi's etc with risky passengers.

But most black cabs the driver is protected from the passenger, so why are these exempt??

And also bus coach drivers when running light, why exempt??

Also long distance lorry drivers why exempt??

Just some inconsistencies to the logic of need protection from passengers and getting in out of van, when either there are no passengers or sizable distance from drops.

Jubby

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

I don't think I'd feel properly dressed not wearing a seatbelt now.

I was thinking the same thing. I feel naked without one on.

I remember my mum and dad's first car, a mini, which didn't have seatbelts. This was back in the 60s when it wasn't the law to have them. Anyway, even now in my 40s my mum automatically puts her arm across my waist as if to hold me back!! Like it would prevent me from being thrown through the windscreen in an accident. I laugh when she does it but I also remember when Jimmy Saville came on TV with advert .. "clunk click, every trip" and we saw a peach being smashed by a hammer like what happens to your head when you hit glass at high speed. That was it, mum and dad got a new car with seatbelts. But she still puts her arm across my front. Ahhhhhh momma! :rolleyes:

Here in Florida the police have a saying " Click it, Or Ticket"

Originally posted by Flying Duck

I used to do multi-drop and would regularly have in excess of 200 drops a day. Imagine how much time it would take to fasten/un-fasten your seatbelt when driving from no 2 any street to number 37.

Just a little more time than it would take to have your head stoved in by the windscreen.

• 9 years later...

Archived