Seat Belts

Jon

:confused: If a law came in saying its up to you if you wear a seat belt or not would or wouldn't you wear one?

I would wear one :thumbsup:

i would either have no legs or be dead had i always worn one.

They help in some circumstances in others they will get you killed.

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 18:42 ----------

I always think this one is quite funny. I've heard this from people in the past - "oh, I'd rather be thrown clear of the accident...".

Errrr...thrown clear onto what exactly? A nice fluffy mattress or something? :loopy:

Do people really think that hitting tarmac at 50mph is going to let them walk away, not to mention all the sharp bits of metal, etc that they are probably going to hit on the way? I remember crashing a motorbike wearing work clothes once - I was only going about 30mph but landed on my knee which instantly lost all it's flesh.

Obviously mike you have no clue what your talking about and its just general forum crap your spouting.

Theres nothing funny about being thrown from a vehicle but its even less funny being stuck in it while its crushed into a size nobody could live and im not guessing i know!

I will never ever wear a seat belt,ever.

It'd depend on the journey I think.

A friend of my parents was in quite a serious car incident years ago. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt... however, the police said that if he was wearing his seatbelt, he could have been killed! (His steering wheel was pushed back into his seat, but the driver's door had been pushed open and he'd fallen out.

Makes you think.

I was in a serious accident (car flipped over 360°) and I wasn't wearing a belt. I had taken it off about 10 mins previous when I'd pulled over to answer my phone and then set off again, forgetting to put it back on (phone was in the passenger footwell so I took it off to retrieve it).

I walked away virtually uninjured (bruising). After everything was settled I was told by an officer that he knew I wasn't wearing a seatbelt. When I asked him how he knew that he replied with "You're still breathing".

I won't deny seatbelts are a good idea and should be worn however there are certain instances where they will do more harm than good.

whats fine for not wearing seat belt ,iv been done

£60, ..........

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 22:41 ----------

I can understand your logic, but the law allows drivers who are carrying fare paying passengers not to wear a seatbelt so that they can defend themselves/escape from attack by passengers. (you'd be surprised how often it happens...esp when people are drunk.

Van drivers are only exempt when in a delivery van making local deliveries. I used to do multi-drop and would regularly have in excess of 200 drops a day. Imagine how much time it would take to fasten/un-fasten your seatbelt when driving from no 2 any street to number 37.

Having said that, I had my life saved by a seat belt in a van.

"Multi-drop" qualifies for am exemption only if the driver travels less than 50 metres between drops.

I was in a serious accident (car flipped over 360°) and I wasn't wearing a belt. I had taken it off about 10 mins previous when I'd pulled over to answer my phone and then set off again, forgetting to put it back on (phone was in the passenger footwell so I took it off to retrieve it).

I walked away virtually uninjured (bruising). After everything was settled I was told by an officer that he knew I wasn't wearing a seatbelt. When I asked him how he knew that he replied with "You're still breathing".

I won't deny seatbelts are a good idea and should be worn however there are certain instances where they will do more harm than good.

I wonder what the statistics are for accidents where it would have been more beneficial to have not worn a seatbelt?

Did you see Nicholas Wychell in front of Buck House and all those flowers say, "the world mourns the passing of a beautiful and charismatic woman ... but she would still be alive if she had buckled up"?

And did you see Mr Al-Fayed's conspiracy theory sunk by the same alternative scenario?

whats fine for not wearing seat belt ,iv been done

Its £60 , but you MAY be offered the naughty drivers seat belt course which is £36 and you do it online instead of paying the fine. Ive just done the course as i copped for a seat belt fine in January in Eckington. The course is about 30 mins long and you have to sit and watch video clips and demos on how seat belts save lives ( thats if you manage to stay awake, its that boring.) At the end you have to pass a test ( you need minimum of 7 out of 10 to pass), if you fail it you have to keep doing the test until you pass it , then its all over , and they tell the police you have completed the course.

It was my first offense :hihi: , so i was offered the course , which of course you can turn down and just pay the fine if you dont fancy wasting half an hour of your life.

I wonder what the statistics are for accidents where it would have been more beneficial to have not worn a seatbelt?

Very few and far between. I have not yet met a PC who has seriously suggested that "good job you weren't" or the one that can seriously suggest that wearing a belt has caused the death and not wearing it would have saved the unfortunate person. Without the belt, who knows where the body would have gone and ended up? The rare (headline-grabbing) cases of surviving crashes miraculously whatever the choice of wear or not wear are dwarfed by the stats that suggest belt-wearing has saved an estimated 2000-2500 lives every year.

The fact that, occasionally, someone survives a crash inexplicably without a scratch does not change the bald facts that huge numbers of car occupants (200,000) do not get out of the vehicle without a scratch with or without a belt.

Probably higher than 1 in a million tbh.

Don't get me wrong, I wear a belt everytime I get in a car. I understand that I was miraculously lucky that day but I am literally living proof that a seat belt isn't always going to be a protector.

It'd depend on the journey I think.

A friend of my parents was in quite a serious car incident years ago. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt... however, the police said that if he was wearing his seatbelt, he could have been killed! (His steering wheel was pushed back into his seat, but the driver's door had been pushed open and he'd fallen out.

Makes you think.

My understanding is that modern cars are designed such that steering columns are no longer pushed back into the driver. Also, doors are less likely to come open – they form part of the protective structure.

I always wear my belt, and would continue to do so whether the law required it or not.

I also agree with those commenting on children not being fastened in. In some cases, it looks like there are more kids than there are belts.

---------- Post added 28-02-2013 at 08:57 ----------

Yep agree anyone in my car wears a belt, even if they don't like it.

And why are people always amazed when i get in a taxi, (or other car) and always put on my seat belt it should be automatic action.

Same here. Always wear one in a taxi. Same when on holiday, always belt up in taxis. Also when on tour buses when they have belts available.

Archived