Sheffield Steel Workers

Kenster1981

I'm about to start work on the stage play 'The Full Monty' in Sheffield and I'm researching the lives of Sheffield Steel workers. I am starting from scratch so any detail is hugely appreciated. I'm particularly looking at the 80's up until 90's ... stories, experiences as well as basic facts such as hours, different jobs, pay, dangers, smells, jokes, social life - anything and everything!

I'll be in Sheffield from 10th Dec and I'm more than happy to buy you a pint in exchange for a story or two.

Please feel free to contact me directly on swingitfilms@gmail.com

Huge thanks

Kenny

IF, my memory serves me right,Firth Vickers was situated around Saville St,Princess St.quite close to the old railway yard,I don't know if or when it ceased to exist though. After all we've got next to nothing left in this City, what WAS world renowned as STEEL CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rant:

IF, my memory serves me right,Firth Vickers was situated around Saville St,Princess St.quite close to the old railway yard,I don't know if or when it ceased to exist though. After all we've got next to nothing left in this City, what WAS world renowned as STEEL CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rant:

Thos.Firth and John Brown was a massive steelworks on the area between Saville Street and Carlilsle Street East when I worked there in the early '60s. They became Forgemasters and were demolished in the mid '80s. The offices I worked in are now listed and preserved . They are at the junction of Saville Street and Norroy Street which runs onto Princess Street. Firth Vickers were towards Rotherham on Attercliffe Common. Click on this link http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk and type Firth Brown in the search, to see lots of old pics. including the demolishion. Click on each pic for more info.

Regards, Peter.

Archived