Suspected Wholesale Gas Price Fixing. Anyone surprised?

No nor me. I've long suspected there was collusion. :suspect:

Why? Genuine question Pete...

You can go onto Uswitch and see a huge difference in prices..we saved a cart load by switching last year..if there was collusion wouldn't you expect all the prices to be the same?As I said, genuine question...

Wholesale not retail? :confused:

Yes I know the difference.... :) Doesn't the wholesale price have a bearing on the retail? That's the reason they come up with for price hikes.. If they are all buying at the same price then wouldn't you expect the retail prices to be nearer to each other than they are?

Why? Genuine question Pete...

You can go onto Uswitch and see a huge difference in prices..we saved a cart load by switching last year..if there was collusion wouldn't you expect all the prices to be the same?As I said, genuine question...

I seem to remember discussing this on another related thread a while ago! I may have even started that thread, I can't remember!!!!

Ah...hang on, it's coming back to me now. It was to do with reasons why a lot of people don't/can't switch. I think it was welll discussed on that thread.

But anyway, to answer your question. It does 'appear' to be more than coincidental, that they all hike prices, more or less together, and at a time of year when we're all using it more.

I've always been slightly puzzled by comparison sites. I may have posted on here a while ago when my household insurance renewal came through. Exactly the same policy, by the same company was available on-line (comparison site) at £100 less than the renewal quote. I rang the insurer and told them, and they said, we can't give you that price. If you want it, you'll have to cancel your current insurance and renew on line! They couldn't explain why. Anyway, that's what I did!

So, for this reason, I'm a bit confused about the comparison sites, and think there's something slightly strange about those too. Yep I know I'm a bit cynical, but this latest accusation from a whistle blower makes me deeply suspicious.

I seem to remember discussing this on another related thread a while ago! I may have even started that thread, I can't remember!!!!

Ah...hang on, it's coming back to me now. It was to do with reasons why a lot of people don't/can't switch. I think it was welll discussed on that thread.

But anyway, to answer your question. It does 'appear' to be more than coincidental, that they all hike prices, more or less together, and at a time of year when we're all using it more.

I've always been slightly puzzled by comparison sites. I may have posted on here a while ago when my household insurance renewal came through. Exactly the same policy, by the same company was available on-line (comparison site) at £100 less than the renewal quote. I rang the insurer and told them, and they said, we can't give you that price. If you want it, you'll have to cancel your current insurance and renew on line! They couldn't explain why. Anyway, that's what I did!

So, for this reason, I'm a bit confused about the comparison sites, and think there's something slightly strange about those too. Yep I know I'm a bit cynical, but this latest accusation from a whistle blower makes me deeply suspicious.

You think it's strange that the price of something increases when there's more demand for it?

Archived