Suspected Wholesale Gas Price Fixing. Anyone surprised?

Yes I know the difference.... :) Doesn't the wholesale price have a bearing on the retail? That's the reason they come up with for price hikes.. If they are all buying at the same price then wouldn't you expect the retail prices to be nearer to each other than they are?

I'm not sure this logic follows... a company will charge whatever it thinks it can get away with - you know that.

Obviously the wholesale price has a bearing on the retail price but without knowing the markup made by every energy company how can you say that suspected wholesale gas price fixing can or cannot be identified by the retail price?

If you misread the thread title that's fine, but don't dig a bigger hole for yourself.

I'm not sure this logic follows... a company will charge whatever it thinks it can get away with - you know that.

Obviously the wholesale price has a bearing on the retail price but without knowing the markup made by every energy company how can you say that suspected wholesale gas price fixing can or cannot be identified by the retail price?

If you misread the thread title that's fine, but don't dig a bigger hole for yourself.

You don't have to get your knickers in a twist...I'm not in a hole at all...I didn't say what you've attributed to me..I asked Pete a question..

Well yes you have a point! Do you not believe the report then?

I believe someone has made an accusation..I don't have the evidence to say whether it's true or not...there's no point going off the deep end until it's proven..all my opinion of course..

You don't have to get your knickers in a twist...I'm not in a hole at all...I didn't say what you've attributed to me..I asked Pete a question..

To me, it seems they operate as a cartel, as do the oil companies and I suspect a lot of other privatised companies.

It's such an easy thing to do, and always happens behind closed doors.

Yes I know I'm a bit of a cynic. But the fiasco with banks, and others has a habit of making you suspicious.

This latest 'libor-like' thing with wholesale gas prices is just another episode in a pretty corrupt country we live in!

I believe someone has made an accusation..I don't have the evidence to say whether it's true or not...there's no point going off the deep end until it's proven..all my opinion of course..

My first post did qualify it somewhat "If proved true"

Archived