The invention that killed 100,000,000 people in the 20th century.

T 42

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20042217

US surgeon Alton Ochsner recalled that when he was a medical student in 1919 his class was summoned to observe an autopsy of a lung cancer victim. At that time, the disease was so rare it was thought unlikely the students would ever get another chance.

But by the year 2000, it was estimated that 1.1 million people were dying annually from the disease, with about 85% of those cases stemming from a single cause - tobacco.

"The cigarette is the deadliest artefact in the history of human civilisation," says Robert Proctor of Stanford University. "It killed about 100 million people in the 20th Century."

Why do people still take up this vile habit?

I thought you were talking about 'the bomb' at first, you could say this about any number of things - the AK47 must have killed a good many

Depressing, isn't it?

I would imagine you are right, although I doubt many voluntarily killed themselves with the AK-47.

Can this be true? We all blame smoking but what ales has changed over this period of time? Medical advancements mean we now know the causes of many diseases that were un-diagnosed up until recently. Our populations cram themselves into cities where the air quality is terrible polluted by all manner of chemicals and toxins.

Cigs may be one of the causes, but its silly do just assume its the only cause of such diseases.

* This is not a pro-smoking message. I do not smoke myself and would encourage anyone who smokes to quite.

Can this be true? We all blame smoking but what ales has changed over this period of time? Medical advancements mean we now know the causes of many diseases that were un-diagnosed up until recently. Our populations cram themselves into cities where the air quality is terrible polluted by all manner of chemicals and toxins.

Cigs may be one of the causes, but its silly do just assume its the only cause of such diseases.

* This is not a pro-smoking message. I do not smoke myself and would encourage anyone who smokes to quite.

I suspect more people have died of hunger, over that period.

Archived