The invention that killed 100,000,000 people in the 20th century.

T 42

Seen as many posts on smoking as I have " POLICE HELICOPTER OVER #####, can anybode tell me why"

Its old news bud

It seems to have rattled your cage enough to post on it twice. What does anybode mean?

Are there a lot of POLICE HELICOPTERS OVER #####?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20042217

US surgeon Alton Ochsner recalled that when he was a medical student in 1919 his class was summoned to observe an autopsy of a lung cancer victim. At that time, the disease was so rare it was thought unlikely the students would ever get another chance.

But by the year 2000, it was estimated that 1.1 million people were dying annually from the disease, with about 85% of those cases stemming from a single cause - tobacco.

"The cigarette is the deadliest artefact in the history of human civilisation," says Robert Proctor of Stanford University. "It killed about 100 million people in the 20th Century."

Why do people still take up this vile habit?

Don't ya just hate pedants? Um, did someone 'invent' tobacco?

The invention that killed......

The cigarette?pipe?cigar was the invention or rather the innovation-another misfired point involving pedantry!

Hmmm...OK...I get bored with anti-smoking threads anyway. As has been pointed out, they've been done to death!

I'll leave you to it...Off to have a smoke!

Archived