If you are disgusted with the BBC sign the e petition

Bruno

I don't think the BBC should be scrapped but it should certainly be slimmed down.

I would

scrap the channels no-one watches (eg BBC3, BBC Parliament, News24)

Scrap Radios 1 and 2 (commercial channels are just as good/bad)

Stop making trash TV for chavs like soap operas, reality shows

Stop paying millions to screen minority sports no-one cares about and that Sky do better (eg rugby, formula 1)

Sack all foreign correspondents and make the BBC news about what's going on in our country not irrelevant stories from other countries.

That should save a few million!

I don't think the BBC should be scrapped but it should certainly be slimmed down.

I would

scrap the channels no-one watches (eg BBC3, BBC Parliament, News24)

Scrap Radios 1 and 2 (commercial channels are just as good/bad)

Stop making trash TV for chavs like soap operas, reality shows

Stop paying millions to screen minority sports no-one cares about and that Sky do better (eg rugby, formula 1)

Sack all foreign correspondents and make the BBC news about what's going on in our country not irrelevant stories from other countries.

That should save a few million!

I think you've just proved Magilla's point in #38.

So charging someone £150 a year to watch telly in general on pain of criminal sanction is inclusive, but charging someone £150 a year voluntarily to watch the BBC would be divisive? How's that so?

Criminal sanction is irrelevant. I didn't say it would be divisive, just exclusive. Leaving those on lower incomes with nothing within their price range.

I didn't suggest it would be £150 a year if it were a subscription service, I'd wager it'd go up significantly, while program range, quality and topics would reduce (to cater for the narrower subscriber base).

If you don't think that will happen then tell me, why isn't Sky cheaper than the BBC now?

The BBC unbiased - sheer comedy gold!! The BBC is the most biased news organisation in the country and regularly gives its own opinion as news. The Corporation's institutional leftism runs wide and deep including topics such as the EU, climate change and multiculturalism, in was innately anti_American until Obama was elected and is persistently anti-Israel. Despite all this it makes good dramas and documentaries and Test Match Special is a gem.

But unfortunately it's current position is that it's bias and hating of all things Tory and Mrs Thatcher in particular has led a once respected programme - Newsnight - to make a totally unfounded allegation of pedophilia against an innocent man. Why no checking of the witness - who had been found to be unreliable in the Waterhouse enquiry, why was he not shown a photograph of the person Newsnight was going to point the finger at Lord McAlpine but did not have the bottle to name him? How does he restore his reputation? Has the BBC apologised?

The BBC's institutional leftism made the McAlpine smear possible. The BBC put politics before journalism. This state of affairs has gone on too long. The BBC's lack of journalistic integrity is seriously damaging this country. What is more we pay for it with the television tax, which incidentally will fund the previous DG's sumptuous severance package of a year's salary and a gold plated pension, costing licence fee payers £1.2 million.

Criminal sanction is irrelevant. I didn't say it would be divisive, just exclusive. Leaving those on lower incomes with nothing within their price range.

I didn't suggest it would be £150 a year if it were a subscription service, I'd wager it'd go up significantly, while program range, quality and topics would reduce (to cater for the narrower subscriber base).

If you don't think that will happen then tell me, why isn't Sky cheaper than the BBC now?

To quote from your previous posts "one of the main reasons it's as good as it is, is because of it's aimed at the broadest possible audience". If that is the case then why would you expect voluntary subscriptions to fall short of the current tax? If there is something for everyone on the BBC then surely most people will be happy to pay for the service and as previously mentioned some who currently dodge the tax will likely get their hand in their pocket when they can no longer watch strictly or eastenders without a subscription. The only people currently paying who would stop paying are those who genuinely do not value BBC programming and would not miss not having access to it. If this is a small number of people then it's not going to cause a financial issue. If it's such a significant number that it would cause the per subscriber price to rocket then surely there's a serious problem in a system which would be forcing people to pay for something they neither want nor use.

If subscription led to large numbers of people getting rid of the BBC channels then that would suggest it's somewhat less well regarded or essential than some seem to think, in which case they'd have to look at ways to attract more subscribers - like ensuring a range of programming which appeals across the board, which we kept being told is a core strength anyway so it shouldn't be an issue.

Archived