Buy as you view. Extortion. ?

So we've received their catalogue through our door and reading is jaw dropping.

For example -

Ipad3

Cash price £699

or

156 weeks at £7.79 = £1215.24

Samsung Galaxy tab 2 (7in)

Cash price £329.99

or

156 weeks at £3.67 = £572.52

How can they be allowed to charge these extortionate rates. ?

Now i know there's an awful lot of pressure on parents to buy their kids the latest gadgets to keep up with the joneses etc especially this time of year but people taking these "offers" up are more than likely on low incomes and benefits which just drops them deeper in the mire.

We have 4 kids and they do get decent presents but if it ever came to using this facility it'd be a case of tough love i'm afraid and they'd have to make different more realistic and affordable choices.

I know we have free choice but surely there should be something done about this, is it any wonder kids go without decent food and clothing when the parents owe the little they have to companies such as this. ?

For example -

Ipad3

Cash price £699

or

Cash price £329.99

or

Now i know there's an awful lot of pressure on parents to buy their kids the latest gadgets to keep up with the joneses etc especially this time of year but people taking these "offers" up are more than likely on low incomes and benefits which just drops them deeper in the mire.

We have 4 kids and they do get decent presents but if it ever came to using this facility it'd be a case of tough love i'm afraid and they'd have to make different more realistic and affordable choices.

I know we have free choice but surely there should be something done about this, is it any wonder kids go without decent food and clothing when the parents owe the little they have to companies such as this. ?

No one is forced to buy an Ipad or a Samsung tab..they're not exactly essentials are they..? It's a poor parent thay buys these items instead of food and clothes..

For example -

Ipad3

Cash price £699

or

Cash price £329.99

or

Well In fairness, at least they're up front about the true cost. It suits some people.

Yeah i know the terms are very clear but is making things like this "affordable" a good idea ? i can't see any merits. Then again when little Johnny puts on the tears because all his mates are online playing xbox etc and he's the only one left out can mum really say no. ?

It's just wrong in my eyes.

They are offering credit to those least able to repay it and doing so with kit that also costs. Their default rate is likely to be huge (as it is with all similar schemes and loan companies) and therefore their scheme has to be able to cope with that too.

Look at the inflated cost of buying anything from a traditional catalogue as a comparison- they're really expensive too.

You have a choice. Save up and buy one under your own steam (and taking a long time) or pay through the nose later but get the item now.

No-ones forcing people to buy from them, if people are stupid enough to let themselves be fleeced buying luxury items like tablets then thats their problem.

People survived just fine before ipads came along, there's no reason to spend over a grand to get one now.

Yeah i know the terms are very clear but is making things like this "affordable" a good idea ? i can't see any merits. Then again when little Johnny puts on the tears because all his mates are online playing xbox etc and he's the only one left out can mum really say no. ?

It's just wrong in my eyes.

Just say 'no' to little Johnny!!

people spending money they havn't got,just to spoil theyr'e kids, is wrong in my eyes.

No dought little Johnny's parents are both on benefits and little Johnny's 5 brothers and sisters expect everything they see.

These companies have latched onto the fact that a lot of people will spend spend spend ,on their kids wants rather than their needs,with money they just havn't got.

Bet you'll find the same people moaning about how much fags and beers have gone up,while their giro hasn't.

Archived