Buy as you view. Extortion. ?

pay day loans was a poor example look at other loan services bright house charge 39% and other services charge much more than that

Actually, over the 3 years that's an APR of just over 20% (if my basic calculation is correct) ish

The worst part of it is the bloody coin box attached to your TV! My friend had one to pay for a washer, and I looked after the dog one weekend, 25p an hour (payable in pound coins) to watch TV?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

My parents had one of those back in the day. I worked out how to use a knife to make the box thing work :)

Maybe this is where my life of crime started!

Quote:

Originally Posted by harestone

So we've received their catalogue through our door and reading is jaw dropping.

For example -

Ipad3

Cash price £699

the most expensive iPad3 with 64GB, WIFI and Cellular is £659 everywhere else. You are being ripped off from the very start it would appear.

and theirs is only a 16gb (cheapest I do believe) version, in case anyone hasn't checked!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah-Lacie

The worst part of it is the bloody coin box attached to your TV! My friend had one to pay for a washer, and I looked after the dog one weekend, 25p an hour (payable in pound coins) to watch TV?

My parents had one of those back in the day. I worked out how to use a knife to make the box think work

My ex's mum had one of those trolley coins on a string to work hers :hihi: she was always screwed when they came to collect their 70 quid a month though! She stopped doing it and then saw the extra she got back as a good thing, so their TV must have been on for some bloody hours if she watched for over 280 hours and got cash back!

My parents had one of those back in the day. I worked out how to use a knife to make the box think work :)

I had a rental TV back in the 70's with one of those pay as you view coinboxes on the back. I bypassed it! When they used to come to empty it, I'd just shrug, and say I havn't had it on much! Eventually, they didn't come any more, and didn't bother to come and collect the TV either. I never heard anything more from them!...:huh:

If she can't say no then she needs to worry about her parenting abilities as well as her budgeting abilities.

We said no years ago to our children, one now39 and one 42, no longer kids, they've got children of their own.

We still get a sense of resentment from the oldest who's gone on to spoil her son terribly, he values everyone and everything in money...:(

And we were pretty decent parents...:(

So we've received their catalogue through our door and reading is jaw dropping.

For example -

Ipad3

Cash price £699

or

156 weeks at £7.79 = £1215.24

Samsung Galaxy tab 2 (7in)

Cash price £329.99

or

156 weeks at £3.67 = £572.52

How can they be allowed to charge these extortionate rates. ?

Now i know there's an awful lot of pressure on parents to buy their kids the latest gadgets to keep up with the joneses etc especially this time of year but people taking these "offers" up are more than likely on low incomes and benefits which just drops them deeper in the mire.

We have 4 kids and they do get decent presents but if it ever came to using this facility it'd be a case of tough love i'm afraid and they'd have to make different more realistic and affordable choices.

I know we have free choice but surely there should be something done about this, is it any wonder kids go without decent food and clothing when the parents owe the little they have to companies such as this. ?

Most people round here cant count, Just look at all car dealers advertising £49 aweek instead of how much the car is going to cost, i just brought a galaxy tab2 7" from CPW for £149 and you can get £30 cash back from samsung, not a bad little toy

As has been said and to be fair to the companies, there will always be folk out there that will pay top dollar, to get things for their kids. It's not always people on benefits either, in my years I've come across quite a few with "champagne ideas" & "brown ale" pockets.

Some people do actually see is as say £6.50 pwk and think oh I can afford that, they don't think to multiply it by 4 to £26.00, then it becomes not so easy to say that.

I know for a fact that there are people on benefits & they do pay a fortune to such as Brighthouse, and that is sad as it is so easy for them to fall into the debt trap.

TBH anyone who is a parent normally wants what's best for the kids, it's just a pity some don't apply it sensibly, by living beyond their means.

Archived