Are 3D TV's just a passing 'fad'?

I watched 'click' a couple of weeks ago. Typically, they went to some show or other where they were showing the very latest TV 'tech'. It was pointed out that none of the exhibitors were showing off the latest 3D TV's. In fact there were none at all on show.

Was/is it just a passing fad, as has been the case many times over?

I watched part of the Olympics Opening and Closing ceremonies in 3D, and I must say having the added depth really does add to the experience of watching something like that, but I think it only works for things like special events and movies, you wouldn't want to be watching Corrie in 3D. Super Hi-Def will be the next technology rollout.

I watched part of the Olympics Opening and Closing ceremonies in 3D, and I must say having the added depth really does add to the experience of watching something like that, but I think it only works for things like special events and movies, you wouldn't want to be watching Corrie in 3D. Super Hi-Def will be the next technology rollout.

I have to admit, I was quite shocked when they said in the program that there were'nt ANY 3D TV's on show.

I saw an LG tv in currys last week, and the features seemed to say it could turn ordinary 2D TV into 3D at the touch of a button (like the Nintendo 3DS switch, I imagine) - is that even possible? Like, Eastenders in 3D?? If so, surely this technology spells the end of paying extra for a 3D tv package?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I saw an LG tv in currys last week, and the features seemed to say it could turn ordinary 2D TV into 3D at the touch of a button (like the Nintendo 3DS switch, I imagine) - is that even possible? Like, Eastenders in 3D?? If so, surely this technology spells the end of paying extra for a 3D tv package?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Yes there is a 2d-3d button but that conversion does not have the same depth and clarity as something in 3D if you see what i mean.

I cant understand people who say 3D doesnt add anything to the viewing experience unless perhaps those who wear glasses. The depth adds an amazing experience i think on 3D movies.

I watched 'click' a couple of weeks ago. Typically, they went to some show or other where they were showing the very latest TV 'tech'. It was pointed out that none of the exhibitors were showing off the latest 3D TV's. In fact there were none at all on show.

Was/is it just a passing fad, as has been the case many times over?

Pete, I think it's always been a fad, personally I cannot see the point of watching TV with a pair of sunglasses on. If you remember in the 70's/80's they said you could make your own glasses by using the blue, and red papers from jars of Quality Street chocolates.

The probem is, with technology updates, everybody has to ike it.

Everybody likes HD, everybody likes thinner TVs, everybody likes more channels, but as ong as there are people out there who don't ike 3D it wont fully take off.

The problem (as I see it), is there's too much 'faff' involved in 3D. The glasses, all sorts of different types, some work with some TV's and don't with other (or at least not so well). Then you have to pay more for any films you want, or subscribe to 3D channels etc. All of which cost more money.

I personally don't like them, cos I have a lazy eye, and can't see it properly how it should be anyway.

It's been tried many times since the 50's and pretty much failed every time. It's a niche thing.

Archived