Are 3D TV's just a passing 'fad'?

I've found that 3D tvs are very satisfying in the same sense that a pop up book is more satisfying than a 2D book, the extra depth gives you a better experience.

The 2D-3D switch is not too bad it adds enough depth to get a 3D feel to it, some tv programs work well in 3D.

Sci-Fi programs/films tend to go down nicely in 3D.

But the 2D-3D emulation is not perfect, for example I don't experience things popping out of the screen unless it is a 3D program/film.

Now we get on to 3D films, some of them have a real wow factor and it also encourages directors to use camera techniques that I haven't seen in 2D films.

Do I think 3D tv's will take off, sure if they're targeted at gamer's. 3D tvs take the video gaming experience to a whole different level, once the kids latch onto it I can see them flooding into homes and people will be waving their arms around with a pair of Elton style 3D glasses.

The one thing that really is good about a 3D tv is that when you've switched off the 3D emulation your left with a perfectly good 2D tv.

Downfall to 3D tv's is that you need to wear a pair of glasses to get any decent effect which means if you don't naturally wear glasses your limited as to how comfy you can make yourself without knocking them off or touching them, not to mention finger prints and smears.

Archived