Waterproofing a walking jacket

I have a Craghopper aquadry walking jacket and want to wash it, but i dont want it to loose its water repelency, i have come across something called Nixwax that you actually wash your jacket in and it and it cleans it makes it waterproof, anyone used it, does it work :huh:

Yes and it works very well indeed.

The best way to do this is to first wash your jacket gently with soap - not a detergent to get it clean. You can get a low foaming soap from the same places that sell the nikwak - Techwash or Woolwashis the usual stuff they have. You can then proof it with something like Polar Proof for fleeces or TX direct for dedicated waterproof items.

Don't waste your money on tech wash, nip into Tesco and get a bottle of this, it's far cheaper than tech wash and every bit as good, and much cheaper.

Once rinsed i'd recommend this over it's "wash in" brother.

Thirdly give the jacket a SHORT whirl in the dryer at about 30c, if you've no dryer an hair dryer will do just as well. :)

Archived