Squirrels attacking Alsation!!

My son in law took his alsation out for its nightly walk a couple of nights ago at the side of their house is a massive wood with a path sloping uphill.Its always deserted so he lets the dog run free,she runs through the waist high bracken loving the freedom.In the wood are three or so steep rock faces quite high they look like old quarry workings,on the first one there is a ledge 15ft high or so on which the dog always goes on,this night she chased two grey squirrels on to it.When they reached the end they both turned and attacked the dog,one bit her in the neck the other her flank,she lost her footing and fell off the ledge down the cliff.She couldn,t move so my son in law took her straight away to the vet who x-rayed her and gave her shots of anti-biotics then brought her home.For two days she lay wimpering in pain not eating or passing urine,another visit to the vet who gave her pain killing shots,luckily no bones are broken and she is improving as I write this,apparently grey squirrels carry a virus deadly to other animals but they are immune from it,so watch out if your pet goes after one of the little swines they might not be so lucky!.:confused::roll:

That dog wasn't going to eat the baby squirrel- she was showing a perfect play bow in the first picture. Of course she may still have hurt the kit due to the size difference and mummy squirrel couldn't have been expected to interpret dog body language, but the images don't show any aggression at all.

My dog has managed for over 5 years to not hurt any kittens in her care, even though they are a huge amount smaller than her.

My son in law took his alsation out for its nightly walk a couple of nights ago at the side of their house is a massive wood with a path sloping uphill.Its always deserted so he lets the dog run free,she runs through the waist high bracken loving the freedom.In the wood are three or so steep rock faces quite high they look like old quarry workings,on the first one there is a ledge 15ft high or so on which the dog always goes on,this night she chased two grey squirrels on to it.When they reached the end they both turned and attacked the dog,one bit her in the neck the other her flank,she lost her footing and fell off the ledge down the cliff.She couldn,t move so my son in law took her straight away to the vet who x-rayed her and gave her shots of anti-biotics then brought her home.For two days she lay wimpering in pain not eating or passing urine,another visit to the vet who gave her pain killing shots,luckily no bones are broken and she is improving as I write this,apparently grey squirrels carry a virus deadly to other animals but they are immune from it,so watch out if your pet goes after one of the little swines they might not be so lucky!.:confused::roll:

I hope she's better soon :)

And yes, squirrels can carry diseases that are dangerous to dog, but most of them are pretty harmless and will avoid contact with dogs at all costs, seeing as most dog/squirrel interactions come out very much on the side of the dog.

That dog wasn't going to eat the baby squirrel- she was showing a perfect play bow in the first picture. Of course she may still have hurt the kit due to the size difference and mummy squirrel couldn't have been expected to interpret dog body language, but the images don't show any aggression at all.

My dog has managed for over 5 years to not hurt any kittens in her care, even though they are a huge amount smaller than her.

If you read the article it also says:

it is unclear if the images have been edited

and

The images appeared on a website that was set up solely to promote them using Weebly, a website creation programme.

so who knows the real story(if any)? - hence my :|

Archived