Private Parking Charge Notices [PCN] - Megathread - ALL questions in here

Pegasus

The Watchdog clips actually make you SIDE with the parking companies.

Not me they dont................ my hatred of private parking cowboys is as strong as ever.

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 18:48 ----------

I don't side with either, but I've no time for anybody who owns a car and is ignorant to the rules of the car park because they claim they didn't see the signs or can't be bothered to agree to the terms of parking.

The last time this was on Watchdog, their entire argument was some old bloke who read the main part of the sign which said "Welcome to Peel Retail Park" and he believed that the welcome was an invitation to park for free, claiming that the rest of the sign was too small to read, and completely ignoring the big graphic of a coin being put into a meter. Seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwFdPYxvJAA

The signs put up by parking companies in car parks are worthless because a parking company cannot undertake a contract with a motorist. See the HMRC V`s VCS ruling .

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=70585

Points 3, 4 and 5 are the relevant ones.

Edited by Penistone999

• 2 weeks later...
The Watchdog clips actually make you SIDE with the parking companies.

Really?

They may make you side with the 'parking companies', but, to many, they've just made it clear that the advise that's been given on the internet for the past few years to not pay, is true and legally valid.

A lot of the public are so accustomed to simply following the demands of anything that looks vaguely like an 'official' letter, especially if it's got the kind of (empty) threats that the pcn ones have, that they just fork out, however outragously out-of-proportion the penalty is.

When 'Watchdog' announces that the whole thing is a scam, and that the letters have no legal standing, then it frees up a lot of people from throwing money away needlessly.

I worked for a parking company for 5 years untill i recently retired,not a local company,d'ont all jump on me!I can tell you that a pcn issued for parking on private property is not worth the paper its printed on,the company will send you a few nasty letters and increase the "fine" but will never take you to court as they have to prove that the people who owned the land suffered a loss because you parked there longer than the time they allow you,and they cannot prove this.