Private Parking Charge Notices [PCN] - Megathread - ALL questions in here

Pegasus

Hi Alchresearch,

Yes I do agree with you....up to a point...the point being my family member has been working at Crystal Peaks for years. The charges have just been brought in. They live nearly one

and a half hour away by tram / public transport. I would not like to have that journey at 6 o'clock in the morning, if the tram is running then.

We are a family of usually law abiding people. We never speed or park on double yellow lines etc.

This is all so unnecessary . if the Car Park operators were to put barriers / pay and display we could buy tickets. As it is they seem to have members of staff over a barrel as most of them work more than 4 hours...Not many shoppers stay that long !

Edited by Katie65

May I introduce Alchresearch everybody, someone who has never done anything wrong in his life.

And here comes the "attack the poster rather than the post" comments because you don't like what I say, even though its correct. :rolleyes:

Katie, I do appreciate your point and it isn't fair for workers like your family member. But the Crystal Peaks management need to deal with this, maybe set up a staff car park or permit scheme. Meadowhall have a system in place for workers. But on the other hand there's no obligation for a company to provide free parking for its workers.

Barriers cost money and cause congestion.

Edited by alchresearch

I've now worked out where you were parked. The view of the rear of the car shows the Carlisle St entrance to Tesco at the rear, and there is the cul de sac sign just in front of the car. You are parked on double yellows which extend under the car. The place where you parked can be viewed on street view. The double yellow lines extend to the opening to a set of gates just behind your car.

Street view shows it clearly, although I cannot post a link at present

Garry Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but;

Street view shows it better than the rather appalling photo, which seems to show the yellow lines stopping before the car, without the required end bar on them. I suspect that what seems to be the end of the lines on the photo is where they are under a shadow cast by the car from the streetlighting behind it. You can just see the shadow on the white lines if you download the photo and brighten it up a bit.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.390466,-1.45829&spn=0.002518,0.008079&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.390522,-1.458177&panoid=G8uBM-WaodnasF7VKTWcPw&cbp=12,81.25,,0,18.71

I don't think additional signage is required as double yellows don't normally require it where they are operative 24/7.

Bad luck to get caught that late in the evening though

Edited by peak4
spelling again

Pay them a single penny and you are a mug, not going to sugar coat it for you but that is the truth.

I'm curious.

Are you not concerned about the latest Court Of Appeal decision, which is binding on the lower courts and suggests:-

- Entering the car park forms the contract between motorist and PPC;

- Consideration flows from both parties, forming the contact;

- The issues that VCS lost their first appeal on (interest in the land), no longer apply;

I previously would, and did tell people to ignore these letters; I don't and won't now. I'd now certainly recommend the route suggested by Walkley Dave.

Does that Judgment not concern you with the advice you're giving?

It could have all been avoided if right at the beginning you followed the rules of the car park.

Who cares if its free or not, or whether they're scam invoices, the point and blame starts right when you don't bother to read the signs or leave when the ask.

It isn't difficult, many of us are able to do it every day without hassle. But this point seems to have been lost on many.

The signs are meaningless and do NOT form a contract . They are no different to the so called Disabled parking bays in car parks on private land .......... WORTHLESS.

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 23:17 ----------

More dodgy advice from someone who knows nothing.Keep up old boy...........

Ive has loads of these invoices over the past few years (mostly from parking in Staples car park and never paying) and ive never once paid ,ive ignored every threatening letter these jokers have sent me and ive never once been taken to court.

The signs are meaningless and do NOT form a contract . They are no different to the so called Disabled parking bays in car parks on private land .......... WORTHLESS.

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 23:17 ----------

Ive has loads of these invoices over the past few years (mostly from parking in Staples car park and never paying) and ive never once paid ,ive ignored every threatening letter these jokers have sent me and ive never once been taken to court.

Have you read Moosey's post above?..Things appear to be changing..

Im pretty sure i will continue to attract junk mail from these cowboys and ive no intention of changing my policy of ignoring the parking scammers.

Doing exactly what you want is a way of life with you isn't it, you're a regular rebel without a cause.

Last year I said that once clamping became illegal and as more and more people know that the tickets they give out are worthless, they would change their tactics.

They're there to make sure the car parks are used fairly and properly, and if they can't do that and lose their revenue, they will look into some other way to see this is done.

But you just laughed and repeated the same tired old mantra. Now expect to reap what you sow.