Private Parking Charge Notices [PCN] - Megathread - ALL questions in here

Pegasus

Whats appalling is private parking cowboys are legally allowed to operate in this country at all. These scam merchants need to be outlawed permanently .

Don't disagree with you at all, but that wasn't my point :)

The whole thing, including debt collecting needs strongly regulating. Sensible charges, no unfair threats, no lies to terrify people who don't know better. All needs changing.

Don't disagree with you at all, but that wasn't my point :)

The whole thing, including debt collecting needs strongly regulating. Sensible charges, no unfair threats, no lies to terrify people who don't know better. All needs changing.

Presently the industry is self regulated by the BPA who are made up of people from the parking companies and is a total farce because the BPA isnt going to implement any regulations that harm their own members interests . The whole set up is corrupt .

Presently the industry is self regulated by the BPA who are made up of people from the parking companies and is a total farce because the BPA isnt going to implement any regulations that harm their own members interests . The whole set up is corrupt .

Agreed - although it's the same with many sectors. Sadly, given the actions of various types of company, independent regulators are the best way forward.

These companies rely on fear, quite disgusting that our governemnt is allowing this practice to operate. They put up signs that are rammed with text so that it needs to be cerfully read and then claim you have willingly entered into a contract, if these signs where simpler and of a size that made it abundantly clear of the potential for an invoice then drivers would think twice about parking. I suggest you write to your MP, this practice needs stopping.

Hate to point out something else factually incorrect about you wide sweeping statements but if you look at their website, you will see the BPA council is made up of 40 members of which 5 represent parking companies. The rest are made up of local councils, nhs bodies, trade suppliers etc.

Don't know enough about them to say whether that makes it a good self regulation or not (unlike the Press Complaints Commission whose council is made up virtually totally of the industry) but factually you are incorrect.

dont forget that parking charges at hospitals do go back into the NHS system, albeit i'm sure the contractor carrying out the management do ok out of it. its not quite the same as these retail parks etc where you know full well the contractor is just out to make money from speculative invoices.

Reading through this thread, the Staples car park seems to be a bit of a soft touch. I'd be very wary of going there too much though, they might start letting down your tyres.

Not a soft touch as the parking cowboys are quick to send out their scam "Invoices" ,its just that there isnt owt they can do when people dont pay them.

dont forget that parking charges at hospitals do go back into the NHS system, albeit i'm sure the contractor carrying out the management do ok out of it. its not quite the same as these retail parks etc where you know full well the contractor is just out to make money from speculative invoices.

40% of the Parking Charge Revenue goes back to the Trust.

Their contract with the Parking Contractor prioritised enforcement activity in order to maximise their income, before the objective of controlling parking behaviour.