Private Parking Charge Notices [PCN] - Megathread - ALL questions in here

Pegasus

Hi All,

My boyfriend borrowed my car last week and stayed in Berkley Precinct on Ecclesall Road for nearly 3 hours, when the allocated time is 2. I received a penalty charge notice through the post this weekend from Vehicle Services Ltd charging £60.00!! I know there is a lot of talk saying not to pay these private charges but I wondered if anyone had first hand experience with these guys and whether they will actually do anything if I don't pay it!

Any help would be appreciated.

I had a penalty notice from there a couple of years back. I was going to pay it but my husband did some research and found that they are not enforceable. He found a website that gave you examples of all the letters you will get including solicitors letters. I didn't pay it and the letters eventually stopped.

There have been quite a few posts on this website about parking fines in Berkley Precinct, do a search you will find they all say don't pay

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could help. I received a PCN on Alma Street in Sheffield on Saturday as I popped into Tesco. I genuinely thought I could park where I did because the clearway appears to be start after where I parked. I parked in the eaxact spot you can see the citroen picasso is parked in on Google Street Maps outside the clean car company:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=alma+street+sheffield&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&ie=UTF-8&ei=A2RuUvPOGcKrhAf3iID4Bg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

please note the double yellow lines are faded now and with new fresh paint only start after the clearway sign.

On the notice its also says observed for 1 minute before the notice was issued. I thought they had to wait 15 mins!

If I am at fault I will pay just unsure whether the ticket is valid or not.

Thanks,

Nikki

Edited by CityCentral1

IGNORE IS WRONG, and has been since October 2012 when the law changed.

You could be taken to court. Might not happen but you don't really want to take a chance when it is easily dealt with, and costs them money too.

Take a look at this:

There are a number of things from which you can choose.

The first thing is to pay it. If you do - let me have your address and I will send you some invoices too - you seem to want to pay invoices when you don't need to!! :-)

The second thing is do what people are telling you so far - which is to ignore. That advice changed in October 2012 when the law changed. You need to get up to date. Look back through here and read some of my posts. Take this course and you COULD get a summons. The companies are taking people to court, where they often lose, but at that point people pay up.

The thing you ought to do, depending whereabouts you are in the process, you must appeal to POPLA the appeals service. Costs you nothing but a bit of time. The result is not binding on you but it is on VCS. And it costs them £27.00+VAT and £100.00 to the British Parking Company Ltd.

Follow advice from either:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

or:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60

Get reading on these forums and the full process is here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=63301790&highlight=#post63301790

Money Saving Expert had not lost one single appeal to POPLA since June.

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 13:30 ----------

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could help. I received a PCN on Alma Street in Sheffield on Saturday as I popped into Tesco. I genuinely thought I could park where I did because the clearway appears to be start after where I parked. I parked in the eaxact spot you can see the citroen picasso is parked in on Google Street Maps outside the clean car company:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=alma+street+sheffield&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&ie=UTF-8&ei=A2RuUvPOGcKrhAf3iID4Bg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

please note the double yellow lines are faded now and with new fresh paint only start after the clearway sign.

On the notice its also says observed for 1 minute before the notice was issued. I thought they had to wait 15 mins!

Thanks,

Nikki

Sounds like you have a proper ticket as issued by the Council/Parking Warden.

Try Pepipoo but make sure you are on the correct forum - the one for Council tickets. .

Hi All,

Thanks,

Nikki

You parked right on the double yellow lines? Right by the sign saying no waiting "At any time"?

You parked right on the double yellow lines? Right by the sign saying no waiting "At any time"?

No I parked before the sign and there are no double yellow lines at that point (well the old ones are faded out).

Fresh new yellow lines have been painted further up past the clearway sign.