Average hourly rate for plumber

Surestop stopcock £40 - £60 plus maybe a couple of hours labour. £160 seems maybe a little expensive for a straightforward job, but without seeing the job, no-one can really comment. There could be any number of complications i.e. difficult access, water not turning off at main stopcock, extra parts or fittings required, pipework alterations etc. The customer should have requested a quote/estimate beforehand then if she thought it was expensive, got someone else to price the job. Always remember, if you think it's expensive to hire a professional, wait till you hire an amateur!

Yesterday my sister had a plumber do a small job in the kitchen. There was actually 2 plumbers - a man and his son in law. The cost of the materials was £40. The plumbers also changed a washer on the bathroom tap. They charged her £160. I think this was far too expensive. What do others think.

Yes. As a kitchen fitter I charge £150 for a 9 hour day. I plumb the sink washing machine and dishwasher within the fit price of a kitchen, plus @ £50 of parts. Its not rocket science. Most gas fitters fit a new boiler in a day and charge massive prises £300- £500 labour are not uncommon. Its gas safe you know? You have to use a gas safe fitter its the law and rightly so, but they have your pants down for that.

Of all the trades look at their vans and the tax man as had loads of gas fitters for fiddling. doing as many as 8 boilers a week. do the math I have. You think bankers are b ankers.

You have to use a gas safe fitter its the law and rightly so, but they have your pants down for that.

A friend of mine was quoted £900 by a local Gas Safe fitter to have his old- type boiler moved across the kitchen (the gas supply was in both locations), so he decided to do it himself. He bought one of the latest models, the total cost less than £500. He is very competent though with plumbing and electrics.

As I understand it, you have to use a Gas Safe fitter if you employ someone to do the work, but can do it yourself if you consider yourself "competent".

A friend of mine was quoted £900 by a local Gas Safe fitter to have his old- type boiler moved across the kitchen (the gas supply was in both locations), so he decided to do it himself. He bought one of the latest models, the total cost less than £500. He is very competent though with plumbing and electrics.

As I understand it, you have to use a Gas Safe fitter if you employ someone to do the work, but can do it yourself if you consider yourself "competent".

Less than £500 for a boiler? That'll be a corker! Also if he ever sells the house, he'll have to have a gas safety check which will highlight any mistakes he could have made and may end up with the installation condemned

Less than £500 for a boiler? That'll be a corker! Also if he ever sells the house, he'll have to have a gas safety check which will highlight any mistakes he could have made and may end up with the installation condemned

What you say is true and it is down to him in following the regs, although I doubt they'd condemn the new boiler! I can't swear to the exact price of it, but it came from Wicks and it is similar to a well known (or re-badged) brand.

In a gas safety inspection, if an appliance or installation has a fault that is considered "At Risk", the appliance must be turned off, labelled and a warning notice issued. If the fault is "Immediately Dangerous", the appliance must be disconnected and capped, a warning label attached and notice issued to the gas user. If the customer does not allow the above procedures, the engineer has to contact the gas transporter and they WILL disconnect the gas supply and will only reconnect when the issues have been resolved, and at considerable cost to the customer.

Sorry but you cannot touch gas unless you are gas safe. Fitting the boiler to the wall in an appropriate position to the regs you can do, plumb the wet side of the boiler, but the flue and gas are a no no. If ya screw up you can go to jail.

Archived