Ex soldier jailed for having a gun

I read about this soldier yesterday who was jailed for 18 months for having a gun that was still in a locked box that was presented to him. He was told if he didn't plead guilty and was found guilty he would get 5 years. Compare it to cases where there are people who have been caught with knives and which we were told would lead to zero tolerance and they are still walking the streets. The link to the article is below, if like me you feel he has been hard done by there is a petition you can sign.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/4642941/Open-letter-to-David-Cameron-over-jailing-of-SAS-sergeant.html

Petition Link

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/466/483/779/freedom-for-this-sas-hero-sgt-danny-nightingale-now/

You can see why they would impose such a sentence:

One in eight soldiers' commits violence on return

Former SAS man to serve 18 years

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2124524/Soldier-killed-landlady-cleared-murder-suffering-post-traumatic-stress-serving-Afghanistan.html

Isnt this typical of how "gun control" works ? The law abiding get punished while the criminals never get caught

Either he was stupid or poorly advised. He should have known the pistol should must be a decommissioned weapon to bring it in to the UK, squaddies routinely have to go through customs when they get back from operations to check they're not smuggling illegal weapons or drugs.

It was returned with his possessions from abroad in a case and never opened due to him having had a stroke and suffered severe memory loss.

Obviously whilst abroad and on a military base he was entitled to hold firearms.

Did it say how they knew he had the Gun when it was in an unopened box.:confused:

A military court is not the same as a civil court, a court martial can dish out a lot of different punishments than a civil court, and a lot harsher sentencing,

anyone who compares the armed forces with civilian life has obviously never been in

But what i don't understand about this is how did the gun get back in the uk if a solder returns from theatre they are looked at very closely for ordnance.

Either he was stupid or poorly advised. He should have known the pistol should must be a decommissioned weapon to bring it in to the UK, squaddies routinely have to go through customs when they get back from operations to check they're not smuggling illegal weapons or drugs.

Oh yeah! customs dont let you get away with a thing. I brought back a transistor radio and a camera I had bought while serving overseas in Malaya and Singapore. Soon as we were off the ship at Southampton, straight into the customs shed and everything out on the tables. I ddnt have enough money to pay duty on both of them and they confiscated the camera.

A grateful country welcomes home it's heroes :hihi:

Oh yeah! customs dont let yopu get away with a thing. I brought back a transistor radio and a camera I had bought while serving overseas in Malaya and Singapore. Soon as we were off the ship at Southampton, straight into the customs shed and everything out on the tables. I ddnt have enough money to pay duty on both of them and they confiscated the camera.

A grateful country welcomes home it's heroes :hihi:

And this same grateful country is making these soldiers redundant, some of them just days before they are entitled to a full pension.

And this same grateful country is making these soldiers redundant, some of them just days before they are entitled to a full pension.
The need to downsize might be debatable, but the way they've picked people close to 16 or 22 year points and effectively robbed them of pensions is plain wicked.

Archived