Ex soldier jailed for having a gun

Oh yeah! customs dont let you get away with a thing. I brought back a transistor radio and a camera I had bought while serving overseas in Malaya and Singapore. Soon as we were off the ship at Southampton, straight into the customs shed and everything out on the tables. I ddnt have enough money to pay duty on both of them and they confiscated the camera.

A grateful country welcomes home it's heroes :hihi:

I saw this happen in one of those 1950s B±W films starring Peter Sellers.

I saw this happen in one of those 1950s B±W films starring Peter Sellers.

Well the army back then was a bit like the world of Peter Sellers. Very large in size, no wars to fight, full of national servicemen like me skiving off at every opportunity, sergeants like old Snudge, uniforms and equipment from the WW2 era.

The book "Virgin soldiers" was a very good description of what army life was like in the outer posts of Empire

Compared to the British army of today we were an "absolute shower" to coin a popular military saying from those times

Either he was stupid or poorly advised. He should have known the pistol should must be a decommissioned weapon to bring it in to the UK, squaddies routinely have to go through customs when they get back from operations to check they're not smuggling illegal weapons or drugs.

He never brought it to the UK.

He had a brain injury causing a large loss of memory.

It was not caught coming through customs.

He was not ex-forces, he was still on the selection board for the SAS.

he was SAS had been for 11 years

Regardless, if he was handed a live pistol as a gift, he would have known it couldn't ever be legally brought back to the UK. Our forces deployed on operations know they cannot bring back live weapons, so he should have handed it into the armory.

There are very good reasons for this.

Gun smuggling 'common' in UK army

Soldier smuggled cache of guns from Iraq to Britain in a tank and claims he took them to keep as collector's item

Not just guns they smuggle:

British soldiers ‘smuggle heroin from Afghanistan’

Regardless, if he was handed a live pistol as a gift, he would have known it couldn't ever be legally brought back to the UK. Our forces deployed on operations know they cannot bring back live weapons, so he should have handed it into the armory.

There are very good reasons for this.

Gun smuggling 'common' in UK army

Soldier smuggled cache of guns from Iraq to Britain in a tank and claims he took them to keep as collector's item

Not just guns they smuggle:

British soldiers ‘smuggle heroin from Afghanistan’

And he probably had every intention of doing so.

But was then injured and it was shipped home by someone else who should have known that it shouldn't be.

Archived