Ex soldier jailed for having a gun

I read about this soldier yesterday who was jailed for 18 months for having a gun that was still in a locked box that was presented to him. He was told if he didn't plead guilty and was found guilty he would get 5 years. Compare it to cases where there are people who have been caught with knives and which we were told would lead to zero tolerance and they are still walking the streets. The link to the article is below, if like me you feel he has been hard done by there is a petition you can sign.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/4642941/Open-letter-to-David-Cameron-over-jailing-of-SAS-sergeant.html

Petition Link

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/466/483/779/freedom-for-this-sas-hero-sgt-danny-nightingale-now/

Typical treatment of our veterans.

I read about this soldier yesterday who was jailed for 18 months for having a gun that was still in a locked box that was presented to him. He was told if he didn't plead guilty and was found guilty he would get 5 years. Compare it to cases where there are people who have been caught with knives and which we were told would lead to zero tolerance and they are still walking the streets. The link to the article is below, if like me you feel he has been hard done by there is a petition you can sign.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/4642941/Open-letter-to-David-Cameron-over-jailing-of-SAS-sergeant.html

Petition Link

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/466/483/779/freedom-for-this-sas-hero-sgt-danny-nightingale-now/

THIS is the letter that four SAS legends have sent to David Cameron demanding justice for Sgt Danny Nightingale who, they say, has been wrongly jailed for illegally possessing a firearm.

It is signed by former Commanding Officer of 22 SAS, Lt Col Richard Williams, former Operations Officer for the SAS, Col Tim Collins, and SAS heroes Andy McNab and Chris Ryan.

The letter urges the PM to press for the release of Sgt Nightingale, pictured, TODAY so his case can be urgently reviewed.

Dear Prime Minister

WE are writing to you about the case of Sgt Danny Nightingale of A Squadron 22 SAS Regiment who, we believe, is the victim of a monstrous miscarriage of justice.

In 2007, Sgt Nightingale was serving with his squadron in Iraq, training Iraqi Special Forces. At the end of this job, he was presented with a 9mm Glock pistol by Iraqi troops in recognition of his sterling work.

Soon after, two of Sgt Nightingale’s best friends died in a tragic helicopter crash and he returned to Britain to organise their funerals. His possessions were returned to Britain including, but completely unknown to him, the trophy pistol.

Furthermore, in 2009, during a charity jungle marathon in the Amazon, Sgt Nightingale suffered over-hydration that led to a three-day coma and prolonged problems with memory loss.

When the weapon was found it was still in a locked box – unopened since it was presented to him.

Despite overwhelming evidence that he had forgotten he possessed the weapon, and that his memory was further hampered by a severe illness, he was charged with illegal possession of a firearm.

At court-martial on November 6, Judge Advocate Alistair McGrigor made clear in open court that if he pleaded not guilty and was found guilty he would receive a sentence of five years’ imprisonment. We regard that as a threat designed to elicit a guilty plea.

With an elderly father and a wife and two young children to care for, Sgt Nightingale did not feel that he could put their future in jeopardy. He reluctantly pleaded guilty on the understanding that the court martial would show him considerable leniency. But on November 7 he was sentenced to 18 months’ detention.

This shameful betrayal ruins 17 years of exemplary service – including 11 with the SAS.

We say this prosecution should never have happened. Furthermore, we say he was bullied into a guilty plea. And lastly, we say the custodial sentence is completely disproportionate to the alleged crime.

We say he is the victim of a shameful travesty of justice and we demand immediate action.

Compare this man’s case to that of Abu Qatada and see if it is fair.

We call on you to exercise leadership and judgment and to release Sgt Nightingale today on license, so that this case can be reviewed with the utmost haste.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/4642941/Open-letter-to-David-Cameron-over-jailing-of-SAS-sergeant.html#ixzz2CHO5IJm5

Excuse the long post but I find that this poem written by Rudyard Kipling is as relevant today as it was when it was written during Queen Victorias reign.

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o'beer,

The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."

The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,

I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";

But it's ``Thank you, Mister Atkins,'' when the band begins to play,

The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,

O it's ``Thank you, Mr. Atkins,'' when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,

They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;

They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,

But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";

But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,

The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,

O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep

Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;

An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit

Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy how's yer soul?"

But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,

The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,

O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,

But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;

An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints:

Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind,"

But it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind,

There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,

O it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires an' all:

We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.

Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face

The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"

But it's "Saviour of 'is country," when the guns begin to shoot;

An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;

But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived