Ex soldier jailed for having a gun

Wouldn't that be because one of those nut jobs might shoot you?

Cant spend our lives worrying about that can we? Any of us can be killed for no reason...... anywhere, anytime.

It's all a matter of a hundred different circumstances occuring that can result in an innocent victim being in the wrong place at the wrong time and all ending up in that one act taking place that means his/her time is suddenly up.

You could eat lunch everyday for six months in a restaurant in an area known for high crime and never even get a dirty look or be walking along the street in a small town on an island in Hawaii and suddenly end up dead.

Life and death are very fickle

Cant spend our lives worrying about that can we? Any of us can be killed for no reason...... anywhere, anytime.

It's all a matter of a hundred different circumstances that can end up with an innocent victim being in the wrong place at the wrong time and all ending up in that 10 million to one act taking place that means his/her time is suddenly up.

You could eat lunch everyday for six months in a restaurant in an area known for high crime and never even get a dirty look or be walking along the street in a small town on an island in Hawaii and suddenly end up dead.

This is true. It's just that it happens 100 times more often in the USA than Canada.

This is true. It's just that it happens 100 times more often in the USA than Canada.

Well maybe it does but I'm a born fatalist. I fully expected to end up dead or bady wounded around 45 years ago and ended up with not even a scratch.

Perhaps one day in the future I might be sitting in a bar in Toronto and some individual with domestic problems or a grudge against the bar owner will come in with a revolver or pistol and just start shooting. A multitude of circumstances with which I know nothing about or have no connection with will have finally determined my further existence

Our lawmakers can be daft, but that's because our voters/campaigners are beyond daft.

We have rising issues with criminals using guns - so . . . . . ban gun ownership! Ater all, guns are bad.

But, how many of those criminals use registered guns? Close to zero %.

As a mouthpiece for the US NRA, Charlton Heston sometimes messes up (well, he's an old boy now) , but he's right on this one: "A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys".

You cant stop violence and you cant stop idiots using guns on each other. That's no reason to impose a repressive system that punishes the great majority for the crimes of the few.

The UK seems to have managed to control (not quite stop) the idiots shooting each other far better than the US... So clearly something can be done.

Canada has a population of around 35 million, not much different in size from the population of California alone. Bank robberies at gun point were were commonplace in Montreal as far back as the 1960s and one of the biggest motorcycle gangs in north America engaged in criminal activities was based in that city also.

I'm not surprised that gun crime has risen rapidly in the UK. The liberal immigration system that's allowed in people from such war torn countries as Somalia is partly reponisble for that plus the much easier access to illegal weapons smuggled across the channel from Europe

I'm not sure there's any evidence to support the part in bold.

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 09:38 ----------

So what? There are crazy people here who get all emotional and worked up over such things as broken romances and marriages. Some Hispanics have that inclination to settle infidelity/ adultry/ rejection at the point of a gun.

It's mentioned on the news quite often. Then there's the Bloods and the Crips and their feuds over anything from turf to drugs.

You seem to be going out of your way to dismiss gun crime as a) not your problem, and b) impossible to control.

The example of other countries shows that it can be controlled though.

And the UK shows that banning gun ownership isn't the answer.

But why should I care? I've owned rifles I've used for hunting and others plus hand guns for target and competition sport shooting.

A gun is just a piece of metal like a car. It's the nut behind the trigger or the nut behind the wheel who is the menace. Maybe we shoould oblige everone to undergo a mental stability/inclination to violence test and just lock them up instead

Indeed.

And the old UK licensing system seemed to keep the nuts away from the guns most of the time.

How about oblige them to undergo the test if they want a gun... Isn't that more sensible than locking them up if they 'fail'?

The UK seems to have managed to control (not quite stop) the idiots shooting each other far better than the US... So clearly something can be done.

I'm not sure there's any evidence to support the part in bold.

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 09:38 ----------

You seem to be going out of your way to dismiss gun crime as a) not your problem, and b) impossible to control.

The example of other countries shows that it can be controlled though.

And the UK shows that banning gun ownership isn't the answer.

Indeed.

And the old UK licensing system seemed to keep the nuts away from the guns most of the time.

How about oblige them to undergo the test if they want a gun... Isn't that more sensible than locking them up if they 'fail'?

Gun crime isnt my problem and yes it is very difficult to control. This isn't the UK or Europe you know. Considering the current population size of over 300 million and the variation of cultures plus the traditional right of gun ownership you are dealing with a far more complex situation than anywhere in your part of the world.

If you want a quick summary just how well gun control works take a look at Washington DC. That city has outlawed the carrying of firearms or the possession of such for years and yet it has the highest rate of gun crime in the country whereas in North Dakota where there isnt even a requirement for a permit to carry a firearm at any time night or day gun crime is practically unknown.

Of course demographics might possibly have something do with the above but I'll say no more in case I get slapped with a ban.

. . . . . . . Of course demographics might possibly have something do with the above but I'll say no more in case I get slapped with a ban.
Right now across the Socilaist Republic of South Yorkshire's internet community, fingers are being plunged into ears, heads are being forced into the sand, and hardline lefty liberals are choking on their lentils as they struggle to offer a counter to your comment.

Right now across the Socilaist Republic of South Yorkshire's internet community, fingers are being plunged into ears, heads are being forced into the sand, and hardline lefty liberals are choking on their lentils as they struggle to offer a counter to your comment.

I had a nice Saag Dal last night and having digested it I'd like to point out that the last death by shooting I heard of taking place in South Yorkshire involved the death of a white bloke in that not-quite-inner-city-black ghetto of Wath and that the person charged with the murder is from Thurnscoe which similarly is not know for its gangstas and soljas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-20054026

Closer to home there was a shooting on Parson Cross recently. I don't know about the ethnicity of he people involved but similar incidents in the past have involved those of an identical ethnic background to Winston Churchill;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1211722/Gun-toting-gang-members-jailed-named-shamed-Facebook.html

I had a nice Saag Dal last night and having digested it I'd like to point out that the last death by shooting I heard of taking place in South Yorkshire involved the death of a white bloke in that not-quite-inner-city-black ghetto of Wath and that the person charged with the murder is from Thurnscoe which similarly is not know for its gangstas and soljas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-20054026

Closer to home there was a shooting on Parson Cross recently. I don't know about the ethnicity of he people involved but similar incidents in the past have involved those of an identical ethnic background to Winston Churchill;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1211722/Gun-toting-gang-members-jailed-named-shamed-Facebook.html

Statistically irrelevant. We can probably identify somebody who has a club foot and a hump if we search the records hard enough, but that doesn't mean hunchbacks do most of the shooting.

Do you deny that the majority of gun crime, being part of the 'gang' cutlure, is perpetrated by non-white ethnic groups?

Gun crime isnt my problem and yes it is very difficult to control. This isn't the UK or Europe you know. Considering the current population size of over 300 million and the variation of cultures plus the traditional right of gun ownership you are dealing with a far more complex situation than anywhere in your part of the world.

You seem to be trying to suggest that controlling who owns a gun isn't an effective way of reducing gun crime.

I'm not saying it would be popular or easy to implement in the USA, but it is effective, there's plenty of proof that it works.

If you want a quick summary just how well gun control works take a look at Washington DC. That city has outlawed the carrying of firearms or the possession of such for years and yet it has the highest rate of gun crime in the country whereas in North Dakota where there isnt even a requirement for a permit to carry a firearm at any time night or day gun crime is practically unknown.

That proves that with wide open borders prohibiting firearms doesn't work.

Archived