Just had a new website built for me..

I wouldn't call my self a web designer as I have only designed a handful of websites. So I don't think I can over estimate the value of the industry, I am speaking as someone who manages their own website.

In my opinion you have seriously underestimated the value of a good website. To be me a good website is a combination of well thought out design (not just pretty, but actually helps customers find out the information they need) and useful content.

I will use the shop window analogy. One shop has an attractive, well presented store front where you can easily see the products and prices. Another shop is next door is messy and poorly laid out. Unnecessary clutter covers the shop window and you can't see the products properly. Which shop do you go into?

People can leave websites with a click of a button, if they don't like what they see they move on quickly - I know I do it myself. You need to engage customer quickly so they stay on your website otherwise they will leave and visit a rivals website.

Your right people don't go surfing to assess the quality of website - not consciously anyway but unconsciously they do.

You have to imagine what your customers want by putting yourself in their shoes, you can also use Google analytics to assess how well your website is doing. And yes surveying them is not a bad idea - you can ask website visitors to complete a survey of their visit. To be fair if she can't imagine what her customers want, how does she know she will provide them with a good service?

These days, it's rare to find a web development company that hold tests on websites. Used to be a vital part, but after asking clients for test logs on their old sites, they were unable to get them, as there are none. The consumer is what should be in mind, if the consumer doesn't like it, or can't find what they're looking for, they can go elsewhere. The internet is a HUGE MARKETING tool, but only when utilised to its fullest, and the competition is there and increasing everyday. Long were the times where "just a website" could be sold.

EDIT: You may also wish to consider a privacy policy being written for your website. They're not expensive to have done, we do them for a tenner, but it's important when you're handling customer details.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested in a privacy policy

could you email me some more info please prints-charming@live.co.uk

---------- Post added 03-12-2012 at 20:12 ----------

I think it looks great, not sure if its 4 figure great but i'd buy from it.

Thanks :) i know i may have paid too much but as i said in a previous post you live and learn... but its great to know that you would buy from it.

Orders through the website have gone crazy in this last month so i must be doing something right... i have had more orders in a month that i had in a year on my old site (90% of my business was through facebook and exhibitions!)

I appreciate all the comments everyone x

Having worked on many a project you learn design and perception are subjective.

My positives are banner design and look and easy navigation.

My critique - drop the @live.co.uk does not look professional - On Safari the image wrapping the main area cannot be read right (I will check on PC) - Phone number should be a non mobile really - and personally not fond of the font and it's size I would also look to have some featured product on the home page showcasing you best sellers - Maybe too much text? Vistors want to be wowed with your product's when they get to you homepage Again my personal thoughts.

Good luck!

I think SEO will be the best option because when ever any user type a keyword related to your website. Your website will get ranked in top 10 list. Even you can advertise you website add on the related website of jewellery.

Best option for what? Did you read the original post?

Best option for what? Did you read the original post?

"To me, it's a million times better than my vistaprint site that looked like I had done it on MS Paint... But opinions from people with website / SEO / design backgrounds would be brill :-) "

Ohh Sorry i read it wrong... i read options there.... That's y i reply you SEO will be the best option.

I have gone through you website. I like the website, Just keep the business address and number to left or top, so it will be seen comfortably by the visitors

Archived