Tenant rights without a tenancy agreement?

What happened to your family member was illegal.

a) Giving 48 hrs to get out is illegal

and

b)Just telling them to get out is an illegal notice to quit, (the LL could be sued)

as is c) changing the locks without authorisation

It may well be illegal but guess what, it happens and unless you want to go up against bat wielding thugs there is sod all you can do.

As I said, we tried to get the police involved but because the rent was inclusive of all bills, etc, they weren't sure how long my sister had been living in the flat and therefore it was going to be her word against the landlords. They didn't want to know !!!!

Once again, my advice to the OP would be to tread very carefully irrespective of all the armchair solicitors on here stating all the legal ins and outs !!!

I had a landlord a bit like that a few years ago, all done "unofficially' - the flat was just an extra bonus to the shop and they didn't really care, rented it cheap, wouldn't do repairs etc.

I was just looking into buying a house, only looking into it, and i think my ex's mum had mentioned it to someone, who then went into the shop and asked landlord if her son could move in when we had left. I then got a note stuck to the door telling me if I was going, I had to be out by the end of the week, as he had a tenant on benefits waiting to move in and willing to pay a bit more, and it was someone who could get 'some heating fitted for free' :hihi:

Rang CAB and all I got from them was that they had to give me a month notice, but could kick me out for any reason they wish.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

What happened to your family member was illegal.

a) Giving 48 hrs to get out is illegal

and

b)Just telling them to get out is an illegal notice to quit, (the LL could be sued)

as is c) changing the locks without authorisation

About the only time that would be possible to do legall is if the tenant was a lodger in the landlords own home. That's what they will claim if it comes to anything, regardless of how true that may be. As in everything it's proving you had a shorthold tenancy in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
My advice pack your stuff up move out and learn from this because something is clearly a miss and if I was you I'd be wary of going to the relevant authorities because you might find its not going to be as rosey as you think.

I since have done and am with family now, until a decent and legit flat crops up.

Housing Aid were excellent and confirmed that it is two month's by UK law that I had to stay. But it was very complex and I was concerned about harrassment and break-ins etc.

I was at a vulnerable time as a close family member was dying, I thought I'd made a good move at the time and would pursue the landlord for a ten agreement as I settled in etc. But three "landlords " in quick succession later, I woke up rapidly.

Thanks for your advice, guys.

Archived