Starbucks boycott gaining momentum!

HMRC's management absolutely have to take their share of the blame. Their recently departed head Dave Hartnett was either useless or worse, depending who you believe. He was certainly being wined and dined by big business more than any other civil servant and signed off some of the biggest capitulations to the worst offenders in return for little or no tax being paid.

Bear in mind the big corporations can afford to hire very clever very well paid people to come up with all these convoluted schemes. HMRC as a public body can't afford to pay megabucks so the people trying to unravel them are always going to be on a lot less than the people creating them. Get to the bottom of one scheme and they come up with another.

So while ever there are loopholes there will be avoidance...unless enough people stop using the companies that enthusiastically embrace avoidance that it stops making financial sense because they lose more in custom than they make in avoidance.

And big corporations who find that they're losing a profit in return for an investment have a habit of closing up shop. That's why they're big because they know a losing proposition when they see it and cancel it out

That in the end though only means that people lose jobs and who can afford to lose jobs these days?

And big corporations who find that they're losing a profit in return for an investment have a habit of closing up shop. That's why they're big because they know a losing proposition when they see it and cancel it out

That in the end though only means that people lose jobs and who can afford to lose jobs these days?

We're not talking about unprofitable businesses. Obviously we want Britain to be a competitive place to do business, hence we have relatively low taxation compared to comparable countries. What we're talking about is that those companies who come here and set up profitable businesses here then pay their fair share of tax on those profits before remitting them overseas. Starbucks rivals are paying tax, so if Starbucks want to sell their shops to rivals and do one back to Seattle then no problem. Will all their customers stop drinking coffee? No, so the jobs will move to their rivals.

A flexible approach to taxation to attract R&D and manufacturing jobs to the UK I have no problem with. Service companies that could be replaced overnight should either pay up or go home.

We're not talking about unprofitable businesses. Obviously we want Britain to be a competitive place to do business, hence we have relatively low taxation compared to comparable countries. What we're talking about is that those companies who come here and set up profitable businesses here then pay their fair share of tax on those profits before remitting them overseas. Starbucks rivals are paying tax, so if Starbucks want to sell their shops to rivals and do one back to Seattle then no problem. Will all their customers stop drinking coffee? No, so the jobs will move to their rivals.

A flexible approach to taxation to attract R&D and manufacturing jobs to the UK I have no problem with. Service companies that could be replaced overnight should either pay up or go home.

Who are Starbucks main rivals? A company that operates outlets nationally on the same business level as the Bucks I mean. Not your local coffee shops with perhaps at most 2 or 3 branches.

Edited by Harleyman

Me neither.

Or maybe I have.

I think Starbuck's Coffee is the worst coffee in the high street. It is typical American style coffee - they like it weak as gnat's - and drink it by the gallon. I have been to Starbuck's on maybe 2 or 3 occasions - when others have suggested meeting there - but i don't like the place at all.

However, it has got the advantage of prime locations and they have made their stores very homely and relaxing with the comfy furniture - so I can see why some folks like it. The coffee is secondary to the decor and ambience.

If I wanted a decent cup of coffee in Sheffield I'd go to Gusto on Norfolk Row - or maybe even Marks & Spencers.

I've never given Starbucks my favour and I'd be pleased to see them - and all the other American food****e stores disappear off the face of the earth.

I must say, though I hate to, but I have never had a decent cup of coffee in UK or Ireland. I don't care about Starbucks, it's expensive junk, and the people who go there are usually full of themselves. My favorite has always been Dunkin Donuts, good flavor, good people, and not expensive.

Who are Starbucks main rivals? A company that operates outlets nationally on the same business level as the Bucks I mean. Not your local coffee shops with perhaps at most 2 or 3 branches.

There are a lot of non restaurant coffee outlets here. They are family owned donut shops that sell coffee also. Their major profit comes from donuts so thry can afford to sell coffee about 50 percent less than Starbucks. The large size coffee cups however are a bit smaller than Bucks largest

Costa coffee. Cafe Nero on a smaller scale..

You clearly know nothing about this market and why should you? It does not affect you. It affects us.

We don't lecture you on which way to vote on proposition 401 or your states tax policy or anything that affects you and not us. Would it be that hard to do us the same courtesy?

a) I base my assumptions on the anti-corporate, "all capitalism is evil" mob who still believe some of the long irrelevent theories put forward in Das Kapital

b) Starbucks actually recruits job seekers. I dont imagine an Oxford or Cambridge or any other university graduate would bother learning the skills of a barista however.

It probably hires part timers who are currently at university and need the extra money or full timers who are not qualifed to work in jobs requiring much higher skills

So, no evidence then, just your opinion.

Is there currently a campaign urging people to boycott Amazon or will that start after Christmas once everyone has purchased their books and DVDs at huge discounts vs high st prices.

Yes. There is a campaign against Amazon's tax policy.

It is being led by your elected representatives on the PAC. Well done them, I say.

Yes. There is a campaign against Amazon's tax policy.

It is being led by your elected representatives on the PAC. Well done them, I say.

That I can agree with simply because it threatens retails outlets that have to collect sales tax from their customers.

That's not the same as Starbucks though