Allotments or foodbanks- how to feed the poor?

How to feed the poor?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How to feed the poor?

• Foodbanks
    • Allotments
    • Don't know

Should that figure remain the same when we have increasing productivity?

By increasing productivity do you mean increased personal food production?

If you do then yes, it should. By reducing the number of hours you require people to work you're reducing the maximum amount you think renting a house should cost.

An allotment is undoubtedly useful if expensive way of obtaining food, but just how much of the average person's weekly food shop is fruit and vegetables?

These are an important part of a person's diet, but what about dairy, protein,(probably meat or fish,) carbohydrates? People need to eat a balanced diet from all the major food groups to keep healthy.

Foodbanks would seem to be a necessity in my opinion.

An allotment is undoubtedly useful if expensive way of obtaining food, but just how much of the average person's weekly food shop is fruit and vegetables?

These are an important part of a person's diet, but what about dairy, protein,(probably meat or fish,) carbohydrates? People need to eat a balanced diet from all the major food groups to keep healthy.

Foodbanks would seem to be a necessity in my opinion.

Instead of having private fishing ponds for the rich and spending money on chasing unemployed immigrants and poor locals for poaching/illegal fishing we could invest in fish farms.

We could extend allotments and allow for pigs to be kept (some allotments have old pig sheds standing on them - red brick buildings on the allotments that provided meat for the locals! - I recall the old pigs sheds at school - the pigs would eat the watse food - very efficient set up really, now we landfill that waste and are increasingly priced out of meat consumption), many people still keep chickens and rabbits too.

Fruit is probably the most expensive thing to consume - meat and veg are often cheaper than fruit. I've even seen meat cheaper than tatoes!

Producing our own food need not be too expensive, it is often outlawed in the first place.

By increasing productivity do you mean increased personal food production?

If you do then yes, it should. By reducing the number of hours you require people to work you're reducing the maximum amount you think renting a house should cost.

I mean increasing productivity across the board.

We can feed the entire population with but a few % of labour.

We can build housing, manufacture clothes and much more more with but a few more % of the labour.

We can produce in abundance. The more we produce and the more efficiently we do so, then the more we should prosper. Be it through increased purchasing power or via more leisure time.

If we can increase food production, then we can all collectively work less to eat. If we can become more efficient at XYZ, we can do more of/to a better standard XYZ. If we cannot become more productive in ABC - then the current standards will to remain, until we can do so.

I mean increasing productivity across the board.

We can feed the entire population with but a few % of labour.

We can build housing, manufacture clothes and much more more with but a few more % of the labour.

We can produce in abundance. The more we produce and the more efficiently we do so, then the more we should prosper. Be it through increased purchasing power or via more leisure time.

If we can increase food production, then we can all collectively work less to eat. If we can become more efficient at XYZ, we can do more of/to a better standard XYZ. If we cannot become more productive in ABC - then the current standards will to remain, until we can do so.

Isn't this sort of system already in place in communes and smallholdings up and down the country?

If you lent him your back garden, he'd shut up:)

You know it makes sense.

I wouldn't. Last year I trialed it. I was taken advantage off, without security of tenure, my labour was converted into another's personal gain - I did not get to harvest.

Yes, but he want's one within spitting distance of his house.

Not spitting distance, but close by, yes, of course.

One can hardly grow food in Africa, when you live in SY.

Would you look for work and allotments in London if you lived in Scotland?

Allotments must be local to the people working them, they need to be in walking distance - a mile or two.

Archived