Allotments or foodbanks- how to feed the poor?

How to feed the poor?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How to feed the poor?

• Foodbanks
    • Allotments
    • Don't know

I wouldn't. Last year I trialed it. I was taken advantage off, without security of tenure, my labour was converted into another's personal gain - I did not get to harvest.

That's not nice. I've had my allotment for 8 years and I didn't get to harvest much this year, so I know how you feel.

Maybe if he rented you his back garden, with two years security of tenure.

I'm sure you'd make a lovely couple:)

Isn't this sort of system already in place in communes and smallholdings up and down the country?

It is in some yes, quite a few of these places have roots in the squatting societies that came about after WWI and WWII. There are some groups actively squatting land and forming such societies today, which is a good thing. But they face many difficulties, lots of them from the law. And they aren't harming anybody by occupying idle land.

They aren't Israelis occupying Palestinian land. They are local landless people occupying local land - much of it owned by landed gentry via offshore companies - based offshore for tax reasons, yet still collecting subsidies from the taxpayer.

We should make it easier for people to build and use land productively.

Not spitting distance, but close by, yes, of course.

One can hardly grow food in Africa, when you live in SY.

Would you look for work and allotments in London if you lived in Scotland?

Allotments must be local to the people working them, they need to be in walking distance - a mile or two.

So given you don't live in Sheffield why not bombard your local council with demands for an allotment near you rather than spamming our forum with this endless Watt Tyler dross? :)

That's not nice. I've had my allotment for 8 years and I didn't get to harvest much this year, so I know how you feel.

Maybe if he rented you his back garden, with two years security of tenure.

I'm sure you'd make a lovely couple:)

What about the people who he sold the nice new garden too (along with the house).

Unless you had security of tenure that succeeded sale, it would be of little worth.

What about the people who he sold the nice new garden too (along with the house).

Unless you had security of tenure that succeeded sale, it would be of little worth.

You want everything, don't you:)

So given you don't live in Sheffield why not bombard your local council with demands for an allotment near you rather than spamming our forum with this endless Watt Tyler dross? :)

I have, you should feel sorry for them! ;)

I'll tell you this for free, when I finally manged to access social housing, I started posting more about it on here. Cos while I'm alright Jack, others are not.

There are loads of people on the waiting list for allotments.

There are loads of people on the waiting list for housing.

I believe everybody should be able to access decent housing, and be able to grow food and what not, I even think people should be able to access land and natural resources to start businesses and pay tax, the radical that I am!

And while I may not reside in Sheffield atm, I spend time there and have it in my blood, I'm Sheffield through and through, I'm Yorkshire too, I'm also European, and I have allegiance to some other places too.

Many of whities 1930's council sink estates such as Shirecliffe and Wybourn throughout Britain were built with big gardens so they could grow their own food, shame so few never utilised this generous offering and now most use this space to fly tip.

Fly tipping might be more profitable though - storing scrap can be quite profitable - on your own land so to speak you can legally make a profit. Your not allowed to use an allotment for profit. Space in this country attracts a high premium unless you are born favourably into the greatest monopoly. It would make sense to use your council garden for storage and what not, whilst you use your allotment garden for food production (due to tenancy agreement and requirements/conditions).

Perhaps these gardens could be shortened if they back onto fields/some form of space suitable for a path. Then the allotment part rented out as allotments.

I have, you should feel sorry for them! ;)

I'll tell you this for free, when I finally manged to access social housing, I started posting more about it on here. Cos while I'm alright Jack, others are not.

There are loads of people on the waiting list for allotments.

There are loads of people on the waiting list for housing.

I believe everybody should be able to access decent housing, and be able to grow food and what not, I even think people should be able to access land and natural resources to start businesses and pay tax, the radical that I am!

And while I may not reside in Sheffield atm, I spend time there and have it in my blood, I'm Sheffield through and through, I'm Yorkshire too, I'm also European, and I have allegiance to some other places too.

Didn't we establish on this very thread there are no waiting lists for allotments ?

Archived