Allotments or foodbanks- how to feed the poor?

How to feed the poor?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How to feed the poor?

• Foodbanks
    • Allotments
    • Don't know

Didn't we establish on this very thread there are no waiting lists for allotments ?

Incorrect.

There is a ten year waiting list for my site.

But there is 3 sites within less than a 4 miles of the city centre which curently have no waiting list, see post #10.

Which is not the same as saying that there are no waiting lists for allotments.

Whilst you process that bombshell, try to work out why some allotment sites have ten year waiting lists and others have none.

Whilst you process that bombshell, try to work out why some allotment sites have ten year waiting lists and others have none.

Sheffield folk are are too choosy and want everything done for them, they love to moan and claim victim status, many councils do not even have allotment sites to rent full stop.

If you really wanted an allotment nearby to your home then you would take one regardless, I live in S11 but I'm willing to travel to a few miles to S2.

Sheffield folk are are too choosy and want everything done for them, they love to moan and claim victim status, many councils do not even have allotment sites to rent full stop.

If you really wanted an allotment nearby to your home then you would take one regardless, I live in S11 but I'm willing to travel to a few miles to S2.

So, you live near my allotment.

Put your name down now and we could be neighbours in 2023.

Ok, three allotments in Sheffield don't have waiting lists ;). Those are also in less affluent areas, ergo chem1sts poor folk don't actually need allotments. I'm assuming that sibon towers is in a nicer middle class area that has a garden and that you don't want to grows carrots on your capability brown landscaped grounds :):):):).

All of the are 20 miles away from me. Transport to visit these sites a few times a week over the course of a year would be IRO £1500 (more than my annual food bill!) and it would take me perhaps some 1000 hours a year to travel to and fro.

It would be irrational for me to apply for any of those sites.

It is good that there are some sites available for people living in those areas though.

So this isn't about anybody else growing food. It is just about you. As pointed out there are untaken allotments around, so why create more.

And as I pointed out before if you live 20 miles from Corker Bottoms, Wincobank and Woodhouse you don't live in Sheffield.

Perhaps you should give up your flat and move if you want an allotment on your doorstep. Perhaps you could even live in a shed on the allotment where you could keep an eye on the cannabis crop.

But my allotment is only 10 mins drive max in peak traffic, or 20 mins walk, why would this be such a burden for anyone even willing to take on an allotment?
Which is absolutely reasonable. Either you want an allotment or you don't. What else do you want someone to grow the stuff on it for you and deliver it to your home?

Archived