We are all in it together. Are we not!

That some one can pay millions for a scrap of paper when millions throughout this World do not even have running water is a disgrace.

Taking that further the fact that certain people in this Country i.e. The Cavendish's and their ilk who due to their links with Royalty in the middle ages should still live these privileged lives is beyond human comprehension.

As a side line to this in todays Star newspaper [page 28] a letter writer warns us that these benevolent aristocrats are charging £10 just to park on their? vast estate.

Everything is relative.

If you have any luxury possessions - phone, computer, watch, nice clothes, stereo, tv, car . ... . etc, or if you can afford to buy a pint, perhaps that's a disgrace to somebody who has nothing but a filthy gutter in a war-ravaged African state to live in.

Either sell all your possessions, live in a comfortable squat and send the money you raise to the third world, or stop being a hypocrite.

To a beggar in India you are vastly wealthy; to you somebody who's achieved more than you is 'disgracefully' wealthy. It's all relative, but you choose to decide who you wish to call privileged.

Everything is relative.

If you have any luxury possessions - phone, computer, watch, nice clothes, stereo, tv, car . ... . etc, or if you can afford to buy a pint, perhaps that's a disgrace to somebody who has nothing but a filthy gutter in a war-ravaged African state to live in.

Either sell all your possessions, live in a comfortable squat and send the money you raise to the third world, or stop being a hypocrite.

To a beggar in India you are vastly wealthy; to you somebody who's achieved more than you is 'disgracefully' wealthy. It's all relative, but you choose to decide who you wish to call privileged.

So how would your Indian beggar perceive someone is who is vastly wealthy by western standards?

So how would your Indian beggar perceive someone is who is vastly wealthy by western standards?
Well, for starters I hope he'd bow and not speak unless spoken to.

But seriously, what difference does it make? To most people, somebody worth 30 million is very wealthy. Does somebody worth 30 billion look any richer if they're both in a £5000 suit driving a £500,000 car?

Same goes with what the beggar sees - European in clean clothes with watch/sunglasses/car looks very wealthy, beyond the beggar's dreams - further difference is just detail. I've worked in the developing world and the poor there have little concept of the difference between a rich westerner and a 'normal' westerner. To them, we're all just incredibly rich.

Well, for starters I hope he'd bow and not speak unless spoken to.

But seriously, what difference does it make? To most people, somebody worth 30 million is very wealthy. Does somebody worth 30 billion look any richer if they're both in a £5000 suit driving a £500,000 car?

Same goes with what the beggar sees - European in clean clothes with watch/sunglasses/car looks very wealthy, beyond the beggar's dreams - further difference is just detail. I've worked in the developing world and the poor there have little concept of the difference between a rich westerner and a 'normal' westerner. To them, we're all just incredibly rich.

How do they view the morality behind that fact? That we are all incredibly rich and they are not?

How do they view the morality behind that fact? That we are all incredibly rich and they are not?
That's really not something that I've paused to consider.

They seem to accept it. I accept that there are plenty of people better off than I am, and a whole lot who are worse off. I'm more bothered about 'me and mine' than I am about people in another counrty or how they view morality - in fact, I think as a nation we dwell far too much on other nations' problems than we should.

I've worked in the developing world and the poor there have little concept of the difference between a rich westerner and a 'normal' westerner. To them, we're all just incredibly rich.

They seem to accept it. I accept that there are plenty of people better off than I am, and a whole lot who are worse off. I'm more bothered about 'me and mine' than I am about people in another counrty or how they view morality - in fact, I think as a nation we dwell far too much on other nations' problems than we should.

So you have spent time in the developing world and did not pause to consider the moral implications of the poverty you were witnessing?

Perhaps as the Mittals or the Hindujas.

Oddly enough of Britain's 4 richest people the only ones who aren't Russian are from India.

So you have spent time in the developing world and did not pause to consider the moral implications of the poverty you were witnessing?

Perhaps they didn't either.

Clearly your attention to detail needs work.

You asked "How do they view the morality behind that fact?" (My bold).

I didn't consider the views of very poor people in the Third world on the morailty of others being very rich. That doesn't mean I didn't think about the morality of it myself.

I did, and concluded that we in Europe have done well because we're bright, inventive, and work hard. Others less so in all of those respects, hence the state of their nations.

No guilt, no moral conundrum, just the conclusion that there are reasons for the world being the way it is.

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche.

Archived