We are all in it together. Are we not!

Fair point, it's only my opininion that the European nations have evolved to far higher levels of technological development and social standards than the developing world. I'm entirely receptive to being convinced that this is not the case.

Actually, I imagine that is one of your opinions that you could back up with a fair amount of evidence. I just wish that was always the case.

Not for lack of understanding, but yes, I care little.

What an attitude...

It is immoral for people to be starving in the 21st century when we have the means to feed them.

We have a duty to care for each other on this Global planet. There should be no acceptance of 'collateral' damage.

If it was you who was starving while others are rich beyond measure (and 50 years from now it's quite possible that that is the way it will be,) would you still think this?

What an attitude...

It is immoral for people to be starving in the 21st century when we have the means to feed them.

We have a duty to care for each other on this Global planet. There should be no acceptance of 'collateral' damage.

If it was you who was starving while others are rich beyond measure (and 50 years from now it's quite possible that that is the way it will be,) would you still think this?

You've rather defeated your own argument there. Our governments job is first and foremost to ensure we don't starve or get killed en masse. As you point out, it's an uncertain world and last decades top dog can become the nexts breakfast. The colonial years are long gone, the post colonial think we're something special years are ending.

Welcome to the look after our own years.

What an attitude...

Sorry, there are way, way more people on the planet than there need to be - which is why lots of beautiful species are being forced into extinction.

I'd much rather a few billion humans starve than see tigers and gorillas die out.

Sorry, there are way, way more people on the planet than there need to be - which is why lots of beautiful species are being forced into extinction.

I'd much rather a few billion humans starve than see tigers and gorillas die out.

You have no need to make that choice though.

The Earth can easily accommodate a higher population and the current level of biodiversity.

However, the real environmental degradation is caused by unsustainable Western lifestyles. If you really want to save the tigers, you'd better face up to that fact.

You have no need to make that choice though.

The Earth can easily accommodate a higher population and the current level of biodiversity.

However, the real environmental degradation is caused by unsustainable Western lifestyles. If you really want to save the tigers, you'd better face up to that fact.

I'd be very interested to see links to believable studies which support the Earth's ability to support more people without threat to other species.

I'd be very interested to see links to believable studies which support the Earth's ability to support more people without threat to other species.

Why do you think that population growth should automatically threaten other species?

Why do you think that population growth should automatically threaten other species?
Ask tigers, gorillas and the rain forest.

Or perhaps you hadn't noticed that man encroaches on other habitats and reduces the range availabe to such species.

Ask tigers, gorillas and the rain forest.

Or perhaps you hadn't noticed that man encroaches on other habitats and reduces the range availabe to such species.

Instead of that simplistic question, ask two more:

1) What do humans do to destroy habitats?

2) Why do they encroach upon the habitats of other species?

You might not like the answers to those questions. But they are pretty fundemental to understanding the problem that you are so passionate about.

Incidentally, have you seen any maps of Europe from the 1700s or 1800s?

Archived