We are all in it together. Are we not!

Not Bathgate! ... that's where my Great , great, great (etc) grandfather invented the McBessemer furnace! I'll chuck in T'Cross ... last offer!

And I thought I was negotiating with a Gentleman. As a result of your ungentlemanly tactics I have been forced to instruct my people to make Glasgow in it's entirety a World Heritage Site which you will be forced to maintain in it's current state and cannot sell. I bid you good day Sir!

And I thought I was negotiating with a Gentleman. As a result of your ungentlemanly tactics I have been forced to instruct my people to make Glasgow in it's entirety a World Heritage Site which you will be forced to maintain in it's current state and cannot sell. I bid you good day Sir!

Does that mean he has to rebuild the Gorbals to their former glory?:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Well, unfortunately, I've been away for a couple of days, so haven't been able to be up to speed on this thread.

Having had a quick glimpse through though, it seems to have changed from the O/P's assertation that 'Raphael's rubbish' (himself being very much better, obviously), to the ownership of land in general.

Happy days indeed! My family roots go back to at least the 10th century, when we came from Norway and decided to own Scotland (I have my own Tartan to prove it!). Unfortunately, Scotland (or at least a lot of it) was stolen back from my family in the (mid)15th century.

Going by the OP's ethics, I now own Scotland ... Huzzar! :banana:

I'm now thinking of selling (giving away, to be honest) Sterling and Dunfermline, to be made into multi-storey homes for the impoverished ... any 'profit' being ploughed back into Aberdeen, to create landfill sites for the terminally insane (to suit OP's wishes)

Chatsworth (although I don't own it until new laws), should indeed be converted to flats for the 'Have you had an accident at work?' brigade (just like O/P suggests), and Neepsend (with the permission of Jess ... just like Henderson's) should be 24 carat gold plated and feature centrefold in the 'Sheffield Star'

My avatar is the ancient Forbes, the clan my father's family is linked to. However, my mother was a Macdonald, and between them they owned most of the highlands and islands, so I reckon I could have a claim to a fair bit of Scotland! I don't want the Gorbals though, but I wouldn't mind a bit just off Princes Street in Edinburgh when its all being divvied out. ;)

By the way as any Scot would know, it isn't Sterling :nono: (that's money) its Stirling.

While ever the poorest in the country are relatively well off with a roof over their head, food in their bellies, and a regular job they will be reasonably happy with their lot and happy to live and let live.

But when the economy takes a down turn, for them there is no margin for error and they are plunged into economic crisis. It becomes literally a struggle for survival. Inequality is highlighted every day and becomes very personal. This is not envy or jelousy, but consmate proof that hard work and living a decent, honest life does not necessarily lead to success and prosperity. Indeed, the very opposite is often true, and never more so than at the moment.

Not understanding how angry this makes people is what starts revolutions. At least have a bit of empathy and try not to rub their noses in it or you might just get it bitten off. The British are slow to rise in anger, but they also have a very keen sense of fairness, and they are being very sorely pushed. We don't want to end up like Greece and Spain.

It is in everyone's interest to try and maintain a level of equality, fairness and honesty. And sympathy. The government might like to bare that in mind and stop spouting b******s like 'We're all in this together' when we so clearly aren't.

Just trying to bring the thread back on line.

Archived