Amazon boycott - anyone doing it ?

But not all companies do the same in their position.

Tick tock tick tock.

Cafe Nero last week was all heroic for not being caught in the "scandal" but looky looky...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9685571/Caffe-Nero-CEO-fights-back-on-tax-claims.html

The point is any business large or small with a half decent accountant will only pay the tax they are LEGALLY obliged to pay. Why would any serious business think anything else.

Its all well and good Cable going on his Robin Hood drive but HE is the one who is in government and should be getting their affairs in order to sort out the tax laws.

Until such time what possibe reason would any man, woman, child, small business, large corporation or conglomorate have to be compelled to pay more than they have to.

Ask any ordinary worker over say £50k a year (see as a rich person from most of our point of view). Ask if they feel compelled to pay more tax and NI than they should.

And a final note... Even the Ethical "people's champion" and stalwart of the moralistic crucader - the Cooperative were at it... http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2012/sep/13/co-op-anti-aviation-tax

Yes but as others have said they also pay VAT on everything they require, business rates, make investments on premises, land and infrastructure, they provide employment to thousands of workers, the tax and NI of course will go into the system.

There are plenty of other factors than just corporation tax.

I have said before then this issue comes up - its the government that should be protested against. THEY are the ones who should change the laws. Until its illegal the companies have done nothing wrong. Businesses are not there to be moral. They are there to make money.

We would all do the same if we were in their position.

Valid point - they do pay (well, collect it) which is a leveller. Business rates too, in fact I'd bet a huge chunk Starbucks £160m over 3 years is business rates (lord knows what it on Oxford street). But none of that contributes to £38.6b that they AREN'T contributing to.

Governments should be able to stop it. George osbourne set hmrc to ASK companies to stop avoiding tax. Cable appeared pretty powerless on the telly today.

Besides that, as I've said before not everyone is doing or the corporation tax revenue would be nearly zilch.

Ive been boycotting Amazon, Vodaphone, Boots & Tescos for some time.

I shop locally as much as possible, keep the pennies in the local economy.

Did you know that Jesse Boot started his pharmacy business in Sheffield, selling cheap aspirin. He lived in Nottingham, but would walk the 40 miles to Sheffield to work his shop and walk home at the weekend.

Did you know that Jesse Boot started his pharmacy business in Sheffield, selling cheap aspirin. He lived in Nottingham, but would walk the 40 miles to Sheffield to work his shop and walk home at the weekend.

The Boots history in Nottingham is immense and a story i know well. However, since the vulture capitalists bought it, stripped it and now slowly selling it piecemeal, the companies attitude to its workforce (i know many people who work there) and the UK taxpayer is dire.

Its been a target of UKUncut for over a year now. http://www.ukuncut.org.uk/targets/1

Would be interested in knowing if anyone plans to boycott Amazon this Christmas ? What is the best way of letting Amazon know what you think of them ? I used to love Amazon and it's going to be harder doing Xmas shopping this year , but I feel that I have the ability to vote with my feet/ wallet every day of the year , which to me is true democracy and people-power ...:)

No I dont agree with the boycott. My argument is that the government should take them to task over the tax. If you could avoid paying tax without any incriminations, many wouldnt but some would. Its the lack of policing that I have a problem. This fairly and squarly stops with the government.

Archived