Amazon boycott - anyone doing it ?

If Amazon is cheaper than the high street, which it nearly always is, I will do all my christmas shopping on Amazon as always.

I absolutely do not care one iota about the tax they pay if they make it cheaper for items on their site.

It took a decade of operation before they started turning a profit.Good for them for exploiting tax loopholes.If they did not take advantage of every law available their accountants would want sacking immediately for not doing their job properly.

Peoples priorities are all messed up.

I`m more concerned that yet another inept corrupt government wastes another 10 Billion of public money on a leaky submarine to try and show we are still some sort of force to be reckoned with.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/nov/15/hms-astute-submarine-slow-leaky-rusty

It is possible to care about corporate tax avoidance and governmental waste at the same time.

I recently bought a book via them, about two months back, from the bookpeople- I can purchase direct next time and cut out their commission. (unless amazon own it - does anybody know?)

I'll be boycotting them for the time being.

chem1st Have you read Tim Harford's book The Undercover Economist?

It is possible to care about corporate tax avoidance and governmental waste at the same time.

Do you voluntarily pay more tax than you are legally obligated to?

They would be failing in their duty to shareholders if they didn't maximize profits.

Tax avoidance is perfectly legal.

Tax evasion is breaking the law.

No matter how morally unjust it may seem it is not the fault of the companies is it.

Its the fault of the woefully inept tax laws of the UK that allow big companies to operate like this.

Do you voluntarily pay more tax than you are legally obligated to?

They would be failing in their duty to shareholders if they didn't maximize profits.

Tax avoidance is perfectly legal.

Tax evasion is breaking the law.

No matter how morally unjust it may seem it is not the fault of the companies is it.

Its the fault of the woefully inept tax laws of the UK that allow big companies to operate like this.

I know tax avoidance is legal.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about the duty they have to their shareholders.

It is indeed morally unjust and that is the fault of the companies. It is not solely their fault as I would like to see legislative change in this area. However, just because they can do it doesn't mean they should do it and not all companies in the same position do it.

Archived