Amazon boycott - anyone doing it ?

chem1st Have you read Tim Harford's book The Undercover Economist?

Have a look at Levitt's 'Freakanomics' too. Economics is a strange discipline. While some economists try and model everything sometimes the answers to economic problems are blindingly obvious and don't need ideology, dogma or pure economic models to drive them.

It's obvious to me that a corporate model like Amazon's has no long term future. It will be copied by more and more companies. Once a critical mass is reached where the revenues lost by mass corporate tax avoidance reach the point where the shortfall either has to be made up by citizens paying higher taxes or citizens suffering declining living standards, then the corporates ultimately will badly damage their own customer base. People will either not have the money to buy products or will divert money to essentials - basic toiletries etc...

Amazon now sells basic toiletries. Is that where the Amazon brand was supposed to head when it was dreamt up?

I don't think that there is a hope in hell of an effective boycott of Amazon.

They are great at what they do.

Amazon win this one in my opinion. Over to HMRC to sort them out.

Got to agree with that.

I don't care if they are avoiding tax.

Taxpayers need the get the best deal available, and if buying from Amazon is the best deal.....I see it as getting something back.

Got to agree with that.

I don't care if they are avoiding tax.

Taxpayers need the get the best deal available, and if buying from Amazon is the best deal.....I see it as getting something back.

But when they don't pay tax and give you a bargain you end up paying the tax anyway through some other form of taxation. The government needs its revenues and it gets them. The government doesn't really give a crap whether you think you got a cheap book of DVD either. It knows it'll pick up the tax shortfall somewhere else.

But when they don't pay tax and give you a bargain you end up paying the tax anyway through some other form of taxation. The government needs its revenues and it gets them. The government doesn't really give a crap whether you think you got a cheap book of DVD either. It knows it'll pick up the tax shortfall somewhere else.
I agree with that too....but untill this "loophole" is plugged I'm gunna make the best of a bad job.

Avoiding Amazon and paying more elsewhere....well that doesn't help me!

No matter how morally unjust it may seem it is not the fault of the companies is it.

Its the fault of the woefully inept tax laws of the UK that allow big companies to operate like this.

And small companies.

My accountant advised me to become a Ltd. company in order to avoid paying more tax than I needed to.

Strangely enough, I did.

At the time Gordon Brown was on his "spend, spend, spend" binge.

Gordon Brown's £144bn spending spree could land each household with £5,500 more tax

Which gave me a certain moral justification.

After all, you don't give matches to a pyromaniac do you?

Its a somewhat different set of circumstances between Amazon and Starbucks so i'd imagine most people feel differently toward the two companies.

Amazon may have used tax loopholes but it has done so in order to pass low prices to the customer. Starbucks have done the same in order to maximise profit. I doubt an Amazon boycott will be anywhere near as successful as the Starbucks

Archived