Amazon boycott - anyone doing it ?

Would be interested in knowing if anyone plans to boycott Amazon this Christmas ? What is the best way of letting Amazon know what you think of them ? I used to love Amazon and it's going to be harder doing Xmas shopping this year , but I feel that I have the ability to vote with my feet/ wallet every day of the year , which to me is true democracy and people-power ...:)

As a matter of interest, why do you want to boycott Amazon?

Well it's a bit late for me as I've done most of my Christmas shopping on Amazon like I do every year...:)

I don't understand the politics of it all, so I'll keep on shopping there, this may seem selfish but why should I suffer due to Amazons tax dealings....

I can't get out the same as I used to, and Amazon is so handy for me, and looking around most of my family and friends are doing the same..:)

most of the general public dont give a **** as long as they get goods cheaper

Think you're right, Starbucks boycott could be mildly successful in the short term. Amazon on the other hand, can't see many wanting to give up the cheap books, dvds, cds. As I posted in the Starbucks thread, I popped into Waterstones to price a book up, £50 they wanted. Amazon only wanted £25 for the same book. Amazon will be getting my business.

Amazon may have used tax loopholes but it has done so in order to pass low prices to the customer.

That's just what I was thinking.

There appears to be a lot of people jumping on the moral bandwagon here who have been so blinkered as to how things work.

Didn't hear people complaining about their low low prices

Didn't hear people stopping to think HOW their prices were kept so low

Didn't hear people stopping to think HOW they operate their business to offer these unbelievable deals and quick service turnround.

I bet its the same people who buy 20p smartprice food items, £2.50 shirts, £20 suits, £10 dvd players and £40 televisions and then kick off when they realise they have been made in some sweat shop warehouse by workers on 14p an hour.

HOW DO YOU THINK THESE THINGS HAPPEN?

These is a reason these companies can manufacture/distribute/retail and these rock bottom prices that we all lap up in our thousands.

Poundland and 99p stores are another example. Where do you think most of that crap is made and distributed from? How many accounting loopholes/ghost companies and legal avoidance schemes do you think these places have to use to ensure they can still offer you stuff for a dirt cheap price.

Yet we still pile in like sheep lapping it up.

If you want to go and buy a book or food or tv made in the uk by an ethical company, made by stan and doris down the road from their local factory employing local workers at an adequate living wage..... go ahead. Just make sure you take your wallet with you....... oh and you had better hurry because the business would close down within a few weeks for lack of custom.

most of the general public dont give a **** as long as they get goods cheaper

True - IKEA used East German slave labour for 30 years but that has hardly got in the way of their growth and we don't ask that many questions about wages and conditions of workers in China etc who make our PC's, TV's etc.

Archived