Amazon boycott - anyone doing it ?

What needs explaining?

They are doing their job and they are doing it well unlike the government who allows them to do it.

Do you pay more tax than you are legally obliged too?

If not are you not a hypocrite for expecting someone else to who is obeying the law and through inept tax laws pays as little as possible.

Show me a company who voluntarily pays more tax for the government to waste than they are legally obliged to.

Its the tax laws that are a joke not multi nationals.

They are legally obliged to pay 24% corporation tax on profits made in the UK. They don't. If someone gets off a murder charge on a legal technicality does that mean they were legally entitled to kill that person?

It's not UK tax law that is inept, the issue is the way that international tax rules have been outpaced by the globalisation of capitalism. It used to be that companies operated mainly in one country and would pay tax on profits in that country - all well and good. When more companies became multinational they were expected to pay full corporation tax in all the countries they operated in, even though they made less profit in some than in others. Business people complained that this meant they were being over-taxed, so the rules were changed to allow them to state where they made their profits. Companies now abuse this generosity and lie about where they make their profits, so unless they remember how to be honest I think we should go back to taxing them twice (or more).

Tax avoidance may be possible to do without breaking the law but it involves lying and cheating. Says quite a bit about the people who support it, and their values.

They are legally obliged to pay 24% corporation tax on profits made in the UK. They don't. If someone gets off a murder charge on a legal technicality does that mean they were legally entitled to kill that person?

It's not UK tax law that is inept, the issue is the way that international tax rules have been outpaced by the globalisation of capitalism. It used to be that companies operated mainly in one country and would pay tax on profits in that country - all well and good. When more companies became multinational they were expected to pay full corporation tax in all the countries they operated in, even though they made less profit in some than in others. Business people complained that this meant they were being over-taxed, so the rules were changed to allow them to state where they made their profits. Companies now abuse this generosity and lie about where they make their profits, so unless they remember how to be honest I think we should go back to taxing them twice (or more).

Tax avoidance may be possible to do without breaking the law but it involves lying and cheating. Says quite a bit about the people who support it, and their values.

Comparing people ( accountants ) doing their job properly and....murder.Really??

That already says a lot about you.Get a new accountant.;)

When our government and Civil Service can demonstrate the competence, the IT systems, the speed of service, the problem solving, the customer service of Amazon, then I might begin to take them seriously.

They are conducting their business in accordance with the law.Which bit of that sentence do you not understand? You say it involves lying and cheating...can you post a link for that please.

If the law allows them to do that then it is the fault of the legislators not the company. They can not complain if they pass the legislation and then companies obey that legislation.

To say they have a moral obligation to pay above and beyond what they legally have to by our inept legislators is ludicrous.

I`m off to look for Christmas presents on Amazon now.;)

Well if your rich enough to not mind paying tax good on you.

It is NOT used to support vulnerable people it is used to line the goverments pockets so they can drive nice cars and go on many nice holidays.

I find it amusing that people think if they boycott amazon it will make a difference believe me it won't amazon have there finger in so many pies you wouldn't believe it even if you think you are boycotting them they will still get some of your money further down the line.

I, for one, have no problem with the amount of tax I pay. I can afford it and hope that it is used to help support the vulnerable. I do, however, have some issues on how tax income is utilised but that is a separate concern. I hope there are others who are concerned about the immorality of tax avoidance and act upon it, if there are not then so be it. I would also hope that there are others who can see that paying tax fairly is important. You are, of course, entitled to take your position.

im really late to the party....

i skimmed through and i gathered they avoid tax, if they avoid tax then that isnt okay, but i trust amazon for purchases way more than ebay :\

I will do-might still use to browse to check prices but not give em my dosh :)

(hadn't realised they were tax cheats till this week actually)

Just to put both sides of the same story, Amazon are not tax "cheats" but are quite legally using tax avoidance. They are not using tax evasion which is illegal.

Angel.

The venerable mr cable is quite happy to call them "tax dodgers". Worryingly though, despite it being pretty much his job, certainly osbournes, apart from whining about it, he can't do anything about it.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20384428

So much for writing to my mp demanding action. It's an unsolvable problem apparently. Hopefully we can cut benefits more, lay off some nurses and soldiers and stick more money on petrol to make up the shortfall.

Quite scary how many people think corporate tax evasion saves them money.

It doesn't. Depending on the approach it either makes you pay more for the goods or pay more in tax. Either way, you lose.

Can't fathom the enthusiasm for it.

Its not tax evasion.That is illegal.

Well if your rich enough to not mind paying tax good on you.

It is NOT used to support vulnerable people it is used to line the goverments pockets so they can drive nice cars and go on many nice holidays.

You are quite right. I'm one of the people who spend your taxes. I fritter it away on test tubes, chemicals and other assorted scientific paraphernalia which I then use to educate the next generation of doctors and engineers.

I should hang my head in shame.

Archived