Amazon boycott - anyone doing it ?

Just to put both sides of the same story, Amazon are not tax "cheats" but are quite legally using tax avoidance.

Having sex with one person when you're in a relationship to another isn't illegal - most people would consider it cheating though.

Describing Amazon and the others as tax cheats seems reasonable to me.

Having sex with one person when you're in a relationship to another isn't illegal - most people would consider it cheating though.

Describing Amazon and the others as tax cheats seems reasonable to me.

They are most certainly dodging UK tax. They don't dodge using UK public services though.

Its not tax evasion.That is illegal.

Let me try to show why that is a foolish differential.

Lets say I do a job for £100K and I make £20K profit.

So i have a tax liability on the £20K profit.

If I did the job for cash, and didn't declare it it is clearly tax evasion. No tax paid. Criminal.

If i did the job legitimately but at the same time had a tax haven company owned by me that charged me £20K for "consultancy" on the project, No tax paid, perfectly fine merely sensible tax planning.

There is no difference between the two. Both are equally wrong.

The reason that one is being allowed is the same reason organised crime gets away with things, there is more money on the side of those looking for ways to buck the intended system than on those enforcing it.

Maybe UK public services should dodge them. :)

I agree.

999: "Hello, emergency services."

Amazon: "Hello, this is Amazon. Our distribution centre is on fire"

999: "Hello Amazon. We are redirecting your call to the Luxembourg Fire Service. Thank you for calling".

If companies can easily avoid paying taxes on profits by using the various loopholes then why doesn't the Government abolish corporation tax and make them pay a tax on turnover or make them pay VAT.

They do pay VAT. I'd charge them in the same way that we charge non-doms.

Or make them link UK dividends to declared UK profits.

Or charge a currency conversion tax.

Would be interested in knowing if anyone plans to boycott Amazon this Christmas ? What is the best way of letting Amazon know what you think of them ? I used to love Amazon and it's going to be harder doing Xmas shopping this year , but I feel that I have the ability to vote with my feet/ wallet every day of the year , which to me is true democracy and people-power ...:)

Its the £100 on account or £75 for cash syndrome. Thats what the man on the street gets. Would you rather pay less or insist on paying MORE because your morals tell you?

I bet non of the anti-amazon squad would admit to ever doing THAT.:suspect::suspect:

Its the £100 on account or £75 for cash syndrome. Thats what the man on the street gets. Would you rather pay less or insist on paying MORE because your morals tell you?

I bet non of the anti-amazon squad would admit to ever doing THAT.:suspect::suspect:

Amen to that. Or having an tax free ISA, doing some tax free shopping, owning a trust fund, gifting properties and assets before death duties.....

Quite a few hypocrites on this forum. Amazing how many people suddenly become moralistic.

Amen to that. Or having an tax free ISA, doing some tax free shopping, owning a trust fund, gifting properties and assets before death duties.....

Quite a few hypocrites on this forum. Amazing how many people suddenly become moralistic.

agreed, or is that agreed? :hihi::hihi:

Archived