Amazon boycott - anyone doing it ?

Amen to that. Or having an tax free ISA, doing some tax free shopping, owning a trust fund, gifting properties and assets before death duties.....

Quite a few hypocrites on this forum. Amazing how many people suddenly become moralistic.

The purpose of an ISA is to encourage saving.

If more had saved in the last 25 years and fewer had borrowed, we would all be in a better place.

It is a lazy argument to equate that with agressive tax avoidance schemes.

Well if your rich enough to not mind paying tax good on you.

It is NOT used to support vulnerable people it is used to line the goverments pockets so they can drive nice cars and go on many nice holidays.

I find it amusing that people think if they boycott amazon it will make a difference believe me it won't amazon have there finger in so many pies you wouldn't believe it even if you think you are boycotting them they will still get some of your money further down the line.

Firstly, I assume you have credible evidence to substantiate the bit in bold. I would certainly like to see it.

Secondly, as I have said many a time I couldn't care less whether it will make a difference to Amazon or not. I have a conscience, I have principles, all I care about is knowing I am doing both my best and the right thing.

The purpose of an ISA is to encourage saving.

If more had saved in the last 25 years and fewer had borrowed, we would all be in a better place.

It is a lazy argument to equate that with agressive tax avoidance schemes.

maybe, but having some tax free shopping, owning a trust fund, gifting properties and assets before death duties.....

Quite a few hypocrites on this forum. Amazing how many people suddenly become moralistic.

Thats hypocracy. Full stop.

maybe, but having some tax free shopping, owning a trust fund, gifting properties and assets before death duties.....

Thats hypocracy. Full stop.

In a way, I agree. But there is the question of degree. If a person who earns £40k pays all their income tax, loads of vat and duty on fuel, I think they are paying their way. If they can slide a few hundred fags around the tax system, that is ok by me.

In the case of the big tax dodgers, they are costing the rest of us absolutley billions. The roads, NHS and schools don't appear out of thin air. The rest of us pay the tax that Amazon, Vodaphone, Boots, Starbucks et al avoid.

In a way, I agree. But there is the question of degree. If a person who earns £40k pays all their income tax, loads of vat and duty on fuel, I think they are paying their way. If they can slide a few hundred fags around the tax system, that is ok by me.

In the case of the big tax dodgers, they are costing the rest of us absolutley billions. The roads, NHS and schools don't appear out of thin air. The rest of us pay the tax that Amazon, Vodaphone, Boots, Starbucks et al avoid.

blame the lawyers, not amazon. Tax avoidance isnt illegal wheras Tax evasion is, and there isnt any evidence of evasion from any of the big comgloms, and they arent morally obliged to change their practices. Its a bit annoying, but they havent broken any laws other than moral ones.

Amen to that. Or having an tax free ISA, doing some tax free shopping, owning a trust fund, gifting properties and assets before death duties.....

I'm not sure tax free shopping is comparable to gifting properties let alone not paying corporation tax. As I mentioned earlier (as sibon did above) for every pound they don't pay, everyone else has to kick in. I'm not happy paying 3p extra on fuel so amazon can avoid paying tax. They can afford it (it's on profits afterall ) so why shouldn't they pay the 20odd percent ?

blame the lawyers, not amazon. Tax avoidance isnt illegal wheras Tax evasion is, and there isnt any evidence of evasion from any of the big comgloms, and they arent morally obliged to change their practices. Its a bit annoying, but they havent broken any laws other than moral ones.

Fair enough. If you are happy to pay more income tax and vat than you should, to subsidise those companies, that is your choice.

It makes me angry though.

Yes but as others have said they also pay VAT on everything they require, business rates, make investments on premises, land and infrastructure, they provide employment to thousands of workers, the tax and NI of course will go into the system.

There are plenty of other factors than just corporation tax.

I have said before then this issue comes up - its the government that should be protested against. THEY are the ones who should change the laws. Until its illegal the companies have done nothing wrong. Businesses are not there to be moral. They are there to make money.

We would all do the same if we were in their position.

Yes but as others have said they also pay VAT on everything they require, business rates, make investments on premises, land and infrastructure, they provide employment to thousands of workers, the tax and NI of course will go into the system.

There are plenty of other factors than just corporation tax.

I have said before then this issue comes up - its the government that should be protested against. THEY are the ones who should change the laws. Until its illegal the companies have done nothing wrong. Businesses are not there to be moral. They are there to make money.

We would all do the same if we were in their position.

But not all companies do the same in their position.

I'm not sure tax free shopping is comparable to gifting properties let alone not paying corporation tax. As I mentioned earlier (as sibon did above) for every pound they don't pay, everyone else has to kick in. I'm not happy paying 3p extra on fuel so amazon can avoid paying tax. They can afford it (it's on profits afterall ) so why shouldn't they pay the 20odd percent ?

Why not. Its "tax avoiding"

If you were moralistic you would buy your goods here and pay the full VAT and sales tax.

Just because something is a smaller amount does not make it any more right or wrong.

Archived