Dance classes to keep fit???

icklesweet

You will find classes at the university organised by different societies. I've been to a salsa night at The Forum and haven't looked back since. I noticed that there are also different classes too like Street Jive. Classes are normally on a Sat/Sun though, except the one they host at The Forum on a Tue night. There is also a ballroom dance society or something like that, but I've heard that it's a tad strict and they compete with other universities. So they make u work hard.

My cousin found some dance aerobic classes too at erm... Unwin Sports Centre (?)

If you want something sociable, then u can start with salsa first ? I've been to other salsa classes in bars and clubs in other cities before, but found that the setup they have in Sheffield is quite good. It's not too formal, yet ppl have a laugh. The numbers of female Vs male are quite even too !

Try U sport on Northumberland Road (near Weston park hospital) they have classes on every day like dance fit. Its basic really you just learn dance routines to funky music and its only £3. Theres also a ballet fit class and you don't have to be a full on ballet dancer type just turn up and give it a whirl!! (or a twirl)

Check out the website http://www.usport.co.uk

thanks for all that info! I work at the Uni so goodwin isn't too far for me to have a look. I did try one of the Universities societies things but found it very hard as the teacher and most if the girls there expected you to know dance terminology... which of course made me realise i havent got as much rhthym as i thought!!

I heard about cubana,think i might give it a whirl!!

Don't let other ppl put u off. I think I was like that too from the beginning, but, some ppl did made it welcoming for me, and since then... at one point I danced for up til 12 hrs a week. >.< !

If you're interested in salsa, then I think it's time to join soon, cos they run a so called 'teacher's course' (which is free if you're a member) which will teach u ALL the steps in their syllabus, and it saves u cost from attending individual classes. After that, it's just practise really at their free 'sabroso' session on a Sun. At the Interval cafe. I like it because it's a mixture of students and working prof.

I've yet to try Cubana, but I've heard that their nights are really good too. They run a free dancing night every first Sun of the month. So worth checking it out.

Archived