GCSE students have an average reading age of 10/11 and many can't even read

I was pretty shocked to hear that reading standards are so poor in UK. A recent survey of 29000 students of GCSE age found the average reading ability was that expected of pupils 5 years younger. Many students had such limited reading ability that they struggled to read the GCSE exam papers.

I fear for where the education system is heading. Students spend so little time in contact with books that they struggle to read even at age 15/16.

I was pretty shocked to hear that reading standards are so poor in UK. A recent survey of 2900 students of GCSE age found the average reading ability was that expected of pupils 5 years younger. Many students had such limited reading ability that they struggled to read the GCSE exam papers.

I fear for where the education system is heading. Students spend so little time in contact with books that they struggle to read even at age 15/16.

So the device I have just read this on is called a book then ?

I find this hard to believe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20346204

Thousands of UK teenagers cannot read well enough to understand their GCSE exam papers, a large-scale analysis of pupils' reading ability suggests.

Data on 29,000 teenagers in 1,100 schools in England suggests they have an average reading age of 10 or 11.

That doesn't mean anything to me.

Language is constantly changing, they learn the language they need to communicate with, not the language of 65 year old professors hired by an exam board to write questions.

Not understanding a particular context of wording doesn't make you less intelligent.

People should learn what they need in real life, not what they need to pass exams.

I find this hard to believe.

I have to recruit people at GCSE level and believe me, this is not stretching the truth.

Our education system has been a shambles for countless years and it's amazing that reforms aimed at improving a childs chances are being knocked back by the very teachers that have failed us for so long.

Archived