GCSE students have an average reading age of 10/11 and many can't even read

I have to recruit people at GCSE level and believe me, this is not stretching the truth.

Our education system has been a shambles for countless years and it's amazing that reforms aimed at improving a childs chances are being knocked back by the very teachers that have failed us for so long.

Err - you missed an apostrophe.

So how would you imagine that the experts assess someones reading age?

Would you imagine that these people were experts?

All I'm saying is that if the results of a survey, from a party with a vested interest, appear to be not only shocking, but also out of line with reality as understood by people who actually deal with children, then you have to question the validity of the study.

That isn't really what the survey is saying though.

It says that some pupils have a reading age of 10, or 11. Not all of them.

No it didn't.

quote..

Thousands of UK teenagers cannot read well enough to understand their GCSE exam papers, a large-scale analysis of pupils' reading ability suggests.

Data on 29,000 teenagers in 1,100 schools in England suggests they have an average reading age of 10 or 11.

AVERAGE.. Some probably had a reading age of 18. Others a reading age of 5. The average reading age was 10 or 11, which is pretty sad.

Would you imagine that these people were experts?

All I'm saying is that if the results of a survey, from a party with a vested interest, appear to be not only shocking, but also out of line with reality as understood by people who actually deal with children, then you have to question the validity of the study.

I would imagine that anyone given access to 29000 pupils in 1100 schools for the purpose of a survey into reading ability isn't going to be making a cooking program.

Unfortunately for your theory is the survey is backed up by employers who claim that many folk leaving school are unable to fill in a CV in a coherent manner.

You do recognise that the "someone" has a vested interest? Or are you prepared to accept what they've told you without questioning it at all?

Who told you that? Or are you just telling yourself because that's what you want to believe?

No it didn't.

quote..

Thousands of UK teenagers cannot read well enough to understand their GCSE exam papers, a large-scale analysis of pupils' reading ability suggests.

Data on 29,000 teenagers in 1,100 schools in England suggests they have an average reading age of 10 or 11.

AVERAGE.. Some probably had a reading age of 18. Others a reading age of 5. The average reading age was 10 or 11, which is pretty sad.

The article also says that the statistics are not representative of the national picture.

Which students would you expect to be taking part in a programme such as Renaissance Learning's?

Hence, which students are represented in the data?

You do recognise that the "someone" has a vested interest? Or are you prepared to accept what they've told you without questioning it at all?

What they say is probably correct. There are thousands of 16 year olds with low reading ages. There always have been.

What they aren't making clear is the way that the data has been skewed by the sample.

Archived