GCSE students have an average reading age of 10/11 and many can't even read

Written language exists outside of books.You have not opened a book to read this.

Books tend to be written by literate people and proof read. If children base their education on the bad grammar and spelling they find on this forum, it probably explains a lot.

Books tend to be written by literate people and proof read. If children base their education on the bad grammar and spelling they find on this forum, it probably explains a lot.

I lay the blame for the decline in education standards on what happened to our schools during the Thatcher era, from which they have never fully recovered.

The same can be said of so many things.

I lay the blame for the decline in education standards on what happened to our schools during the Thatcher era, from which they have never fully recovered.

The same can be said of so many things.

So what you are saying is that 13 years of a subsequent Labour Government totally failed to address the issues. That's a pretty sad state of affairs.

That doesn't mean anything to me.

Language is constantly changing, they learn the language they need to communicate with, not the language of 65 year old professors hired by an exam board to write questions.

Not understanding a particular context of wording doesn't make you less intelligent.

People should learn what they need in real life, not what they need to pass exams.

They need to learn how to communicate across all areas and not just between themselves. It is exactly this type of stupid comment and blinkered thinking that has lead us to where we are now !!

Language is constantly changing, they learn the language they need to communicate with, not the language of 65 year old professors hired by an exam board to write questions.

That is both true, and false at the same time. Language is changing, but I can still understand the English of Shakespeare and Dickens because of what I learnt in school. There are certain skills that can be learnt in education.

Not understanding a particular context of wording doesn't make you less intelligent.

No, it makes one ignorant - which is worse.

People should learn what they need in real life, not what they need to pass exams.

How does anyone know what skills they will and won't need in life?

It's backwards logic also, because the skills one has learnt in school will affect how one's life develops. You're sentencing someone to have a poor life before they've had a chance to do any better.

"Don't bother with that maths, you won't need it when you're a cleaner".

It's truly awful.

It's not down to schools it's the parents.

I am an avid reader, I read to my children when they were little and they have picked up the habit, both loving books and reading. When my son was assessed at 11 he had a reading age well in advance of his years. This included understanding the definition of words and the context in the written piece.

It is sad to say some household have no books at all in them :( If children are not exposed to reading at an early age and regularly it's not something they will enjoy.

Archived