GCSE students have an average reading age of 10/11 and many can't even read

The education system has been **** for years, and the teaching unions are entirely to blame, they block any attempt at reform. Why do you think we have such a high level of youth unemployment?

Unfortunately you can't just blame the education system.

Many children are offered extra support in schools for reading, writing and mathematics, mostly all of them turn this offer down. Parents aren't happy for their children to give up any of their 1 hour lunch in order to receive extra support or attend after school. It isn't possible with a 1 hour lesson to cover what needs to be done in the lesson and give them extra support so what else can schools do?

Don't forget also that most of the children who have 'readers' and 'scribes' have some kind of special need. Should a child who has a great understanding but can't get that onto paper due to severe dyslexia be pushed away from an exam because he can't write it down?

I was pretty shocked to hear that reading standards are so poor in UK. A recent survey of 29000 students of GCSE age found the average reading ability was that expected of pupils 5 years younger. Many students had such limited reading ability that they struggled to read the GCSE exam papers.

I fear for where the education system is heading. Students spend so little time in contact with books that they struggle to read even at age 15/16.

Which recent survey?

I was pretty shocked to hear that reading standards are so poor in UK. A recent survey of 29000 students of GCSE age found the average reading ability was that expected of pupils 5 years younger. Many students had such limited reading ability that they struggled to read the GCSE exam papers.

I fear for where the education system is heading. Students spend so little time in contact with books that they struggle to read even at age 15/16.

You are the bronger of bod todings!

Archived