GCSE students have an average reading age of 10/11 and many can't even read

How did they set their expectations?

I would imagine that the expectations are that folk of 15 should be able to read as well as 15 year olds were able to in past generations.

Really, why, what are they actually doing at school for 11 years?

I expect that is what has dismayed those doing the analysis.

I would imagine that the expectations are that folk of 15 should be able to read as well as 15 year olds were able to in past generations.

Perhaps, but I'd rather know than guess.

I expect that is what has dismayed those doing the analysis.

Or perhaps it helps to sell software.

So how would you imagine that the experts assess someones reading age?

They generally use a variety of supposedly standardised tests, which tend to give variable results.

They generally use a variety of supposedly standardised tests, which tend to give variable results.

In that case would you be worried if your child of 16 was assessed as having a reading age of 11 and told he/she was having difficulty reading the GCSE exam papers?

In that case would you be worried if your child of 16 was assessed as having a reading age of 11 and told he/she was having difficulty reading the GCSE exam papers?

That isn't really what the survey is saying though.

It says that some pupils have a reading age of 10, or 11. Not all of them.

Don't forget that in the supposed golden age of the 1970s, many students didn't sit formal exams at all. Those students would have been the ones with the low reading ages. Nowadays, eveybody takes a version of the same exam. Some of them find it difficult to read the paper. No surprise there, really.

Of course, it suits the owners of Renaissance Learning to paint this as an issue of falling standards.

Archived