Unleaded petrol into a diesel car

As others have said, petrol into diesel is a bad idea but a couple of litres should be OK so long as you top up to the top with diesel.

However, I always thought that putting petrol into a diesel car was far worse than the other way around - diesel into a petrol. The reason petrol is bad for a diesel is that the petrol is a solvent and will strip the high pressure fuel pump causing metal on metal wear. It may seize but will also put extra pressure on the timing belt if that is what drives it.

Two litres and you should be OK. If the car is under warranty, I wouldn't tell the manufacturer though. See this link http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1157-diesel-in-a-petrol-engine-car

• 1 year later...
Idiot that I am I managed to top my car up with unleaded petrol yesterday and it is a diesel car. I realised my mistake after 2 litres and quickly stopped!

Obvioulsy I started panicking that I had ruined the engine and this would cost me an arm and a leg but another customer in the petrol station said that I would be alright as long as I filled up right to the top with diesel. So that's what I did and so far it's been alright.

He said that if you put diesel in an unleaded car, that's when you are totally screwed!

I think i'vegot lucky but am seeking reassurance, am I in the clear?

Has anyone else done this?:help:

Quickly stopped.:hihi: