Really "English"

How was it "pure coincedence"?

Perhaps circumstance would have been a better term. IMO, where we are born is all to do with our parents' circumstances, we have no say in it. I consider myself fortunate that my parents happened to live in a civilised and democratic country, with reasonable sanitation and a welfare system. Not everyone is so lucky, are they?

It wasn't. It was pure coincidence.

Coincidentally, I'm as English as you get. Discounting a bit of Wigan in there:)

My kids aren't though, because I married a half German girl.

Are my English kids not entitled to comment on English affairs, because of my choice? I think we all know the answer to that.

This whole thread is a wind up.

Perhaps circumstance would have been a better term. IMO, where we are born is all to do with our parents' circumstances, we have no say in it. I consider myself fortunate that my parents happened to live in a civilised and democratic country, with reasonable sanitation and a welfare system. Not everyone is so lucky, are they?

What do you mean by "happened to live in a civilised country"? Was it random? Did they move from country to country all the time even while your mother was pregnant?

I can rather easily trace back my family to 1600 or soo in this area; on the other (better) side I can do the same to Gloucestershire / Herefordshire.. Does that not make me able to comment more on "English" issues than other people who may not have been here for so long? ;)

What is an English issue?

The latest crazes in Morris Dancing? The price of PG Tips?

Me too. My daughter has German citizenship because that's where she was born, her mother is from the USA. We speak 2 and a half languages in our house.

Yep.

What's the half language?

:D

Archived