30 amp wiring problems

are you an electrition mate as i have opened the socket it is running right next to the cooker isolation switch in 2 years we have gone through 4 kettles and it keeps blowing bulbs in the cooker hood.

im in private rented not a good landlord and he wont investigate the problem. we are getting desperate as we feel its not a safe system

what problems could arise from plug sockets being put on a 30 amp wire ie standard 2 gang household sockets running off a cooker wire?

If it is as you describe and wired correctly then no problems at all.

all you have is what is described as a radial circuit and if as I said it is wired correctly would not damage any equipment.

Has the cooker switch been removed and replaced with a double socket or has the double socket been wired from the cooker switch (spurred)? I presume from you saying it's a 30 amp wire that you mean it's protected by a 30 amp fuse. If so it should be electrically safe. Usually a cooker circuit will be at least 6mm2 cable and protected by a 45 amp fuse/breaker. The fuse is primarily to protect the cable from overcurrent causing it to overheat and possibly start a fire. So a 30 amp fuse is more than adequate. If its spurred of the cooker switch, it's common practice to spur a double socket of a 30 amp protected ring main so technically it's no different as long as at least 2.5mm2 cable is used and all connection made properly, although not good practice and may be frowned upon.

Archived