Would you like to share Sheffield traditions with international students?

SHU_ISST

Sheffield residents are exploring global traditions and experiencing other cultures without having to leave their front doors.

The Local Friends Project run by Sheffield Hallam University puts local people in touch with its international students, giving them the opportunity to regularly spend time with each other, go out for coffee, go on a trip to the countryside or cook for each other.

It is an exciting way of getting to know about international students’ culture and traditions, their experience of living in Sheffield and the University.

One local friend, Margaret Troop, from Swallow nest, met Lu-Dai (whose English name is Emma), originally from China, through the programme. The pair regularly meets up to explore Sheffield and learn about each other's lives.

Margaret, who has been hosting international students since 2011, said: "I've really enjoyed spending time with Emma and learning about her life. Emma has cooked me a Chinese feast at her house. It was impressive how much effort she put in to it just for me. We e-mail each other and arrange to meet up to do different things."

Emma, a finance management postgraduate student who has studied in Sheffield since 2011, said: "I have been able to get to know Margaret and Sheffield well. It has helped me settle into the city and I have enjoyed our outings together."

Krassimira Teneva, manager of the international student support team which runs the scheme, said: “The Local Friends project is a great way for the University's international students to learn more about local customs, taste Yorkshire food, and experience traditional celebrations.

“Sheffield is a very vibrant, multi-cultural city and our students are keen to experience this first hand. The project is open to anyone and we are hoping that our Local Friends exchanges will forge lasting international friendships.

"The project is designed to be as flexible for hosts as possible, to fit alongside their interests and commitments. It gives local residents a chance to learn about other cultures and ways of life.”

The Local Friends project is open for everyone to join. For more information please contact Yat by e-mailing localfriends@shu.ac.uk or call 0114 225 4127.

For press information contact: Jade March on 0114 225 4959 or email pressoffice@shu.ac.uk

Archived